Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: And POOF! It Was Gone!

Folks,

Per the Terms of Service which you all agreed to abide when you registered for membership:

It is our policy to support the free flow of information in a manner best befitting the woodworking community at large. Sawmill Creek is an online community where woodworkers may come together to share and discuss a common interest. Sawmill Creek reserves the right to refuse or delete any Content of which it becomes aware and reasonably deems not to fulfill its established purpose. In addition, SawMill Creek shall have the right (but not the obligation) in its sole discretion to edit, refuse or delete any Content that it reasonably considers to violate these Terms without notice. You understand and agree that the service is provided "AS-IS" and that SawMill Creek assumes no responsibility for the timeliness, deletion, mis-delivery or failure to store any user communications.

Nobody forced you to agree to the TOSs.

Threads are never deleted because they could be and have been in the past, subpoenaed for court cases. They are simply moved to the Moderator's Forum where they are no longer in public view.

I didn't see the thread involved but based on some of the posts in this thread, it's easy to understand why that thread was removed.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Folks,

Per the Terms of Service which you all agreed to abide when you registered for membership:

It is our policy to support the free flow of information in a manner best befitting the woodworking community at large. Sawmill Creek is an online community where woodworkers may come together to share and discuss a common interest. Sawmill Creek reserves the right to refuse or delete any Content of which it becomes aware and reasonably deems not to fulfill its established purpose. In addition, SawMill Creek shall have the right (but not the obligation) in its sole discretion to edit, refuse or delete any Content that it reasonably considers to violate these Terms without notice. You understand and agree that the service is provided "AS-IS" and that SawMill Creek assumes no responsibility for the timeliness, deletion, mis-delivery or failure to store any user communications.

Threads are never deleted because they could be and have been in the past, subpoenaed for court cases. They are simply moved to the Moderator's Forum where they are no longer in public view.

I didn't see the thread involved but based on some of the posts in this thread, it's easy to understand why that thread was removed.
    Why leave everyone to speculate? It would be nice if the moderators just explained the reason for it's deletion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    As you said it got political among other problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Funk View Post
    Why leave everyone to speculate? It would be nice if the moderators just explained the reason for it's deletion.
    Post number 2 in this thread explained it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Post number 2 in this thread explained it.
    That's pretty vague and doesn't appear to violate the TOS you quoted. I have seen many threads where politics of some sort are mentioned and threads are not deleted. Maybe there's less tolerance in the off topic forum.

Folks,

It is the off topic forum so most posts have little or nothing to do with wood working. Also many of the threads in this segment meander like a lazy brook all over the place. So some of the posts in this thread are also offensive?

I must've missed the post in question. But I"d like to respectfully inject a couple comments on the Moderators here. Please know that I mean no offense to the OP or anyone else who posted in this thread. In short, the Moderators do a good job keeping this place civil and friendly. I'm here often and I haven't seen them be arbitrary or ill-willed. As I understand it, if an individual Moderator is unsure about how a thread is going, they can put it in a special Moderator forum and discuss it among themselves. There have been several ugly arguments over moderation over the years and we've lost some participants whose posts I enjoyed. And it's usually the same arguments I read above in this thread. The Moderators work for free. Sometimes they drop a note explaining why, but other times they don't have time, etc. Every minute they spend moderating is a minute less for their own lives.

Respectfully,
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    Guessing they're used to it by now. I mean solid bulk cargos are a major issue, it's what kill the Edmund Fritzgerald of the famous song, but I don't see it hitting the news. Give that China effectively owns the lithium production, and all our power tools use those batteries, what other choice do we have?
    Find something besides lithium. It's in process now, sodium is one candidate. Down one on the periodic table from lithium. Nobody is going to corner the sodium market.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I must've missed the post in question. But I"d like to respectfully inject a couple comments on the Moderators here. Please know that I mean no offense to the OP or anyone else who posted in this thread. In short, the Moderators do a good job keeping this place civil and friendly. I'm here often and I haven't seen them be arbitrary or ill-willed. As I understand it, if an individual Moderator is unsure about how a thread is going, they can put it in a special Moderator forum and discuss it among themselves. There have been several ugly arguments over moderation over the years and we've lost some participants whose posts I enjoyed. And it's usually the same arguments I read above in this thread. The Moderators work for free. Sometimes they drop a note explaining why, but other times they don't have time, etc. Every minute they spend moderating is a minute less for their own lives.

Respectfully,
    Fred
    I'm not attacking the moderators. They do a good job. I'm sure there was probably a discussion held behind the scenes about the thread. I have been involved in such things before. They also can just remove the offending posts. However there may have been more to it than I saw. It generally stayed on a civil path. I don't know what the posts were that were the "tipping" point. The point is that many of us are left wondering what did happen. Apparently it was atrocious enough to not just lock the thread but to delete as well. I'm not arguing they are wrong only that it would be nice to know what happened.

You are correct that we lost some very knowledgeable members over a couple "changes" that were implemented in recent years. I also miss their contributions.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I'm not attacking the moderators. They do a good job. I'm sure there was probably a discussion held behind the scenes about the thread. I have been involved in such things before. They also can just remove the offending posts. However there may have been more to it than I saw. It generally stayed on a civil path. I don't know what the posts were that were the "tipping" point. The point is that many of us are left wondering what did happen. Apparently it was atrocious enough to not just lock the thread but to delete as well. I'm not arguing they are wrong only that it would be nice to know what happened.

You are correct that we lost some very knowledgeable members over a couple "changes" that were implemented in recent years. I also miss their contributions.

What got my attention about the thread is I do own an electric vehicle, a Star golf cart ...I use it daily to go back and forth from the house to the shop and I plug it into the garage at night for charging. I honestly never considered the thing a fire risk until now. I noticed the other day the plug gets very warm when charging so now I'm charging it out back behind the shop until I have a better understanding of the fire risk.

....please bring back the thread!!

Religion and politics have always been taboo here, with some slack (too much?) given to the OT subforum. Then there's economics, which for a sizeable portion of the populace overlaps both political and religious beliefs. This thread hit the trifecta.

I do get a chuckle when people complain about a thread in the "Off Topic" forum straying off-topic...did you forget where you were, bubba?
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

+1 on bring back the thread or at least explain why it was taken down. Unless it went bad quickly at the end I saw nothing offensive and thought it was a civilized discussion. The levity thread has been going for years and I'm sure you could find a few sketchy posts but it's still going strong as it should. The fact there are 24+ posts in this thread say something.

And my spidey-senses are tingling about the 'Gassed up today" thread...wouldn't take much for THAT one to blow up spectacularly.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post
    What got my attention about the thread is I do own an electric vehicle, a Star golf cart ...I use it daily to go back and forth from the house to the shop and I plug it into the garage at night for charging. I honestly never considered the thing a fire risk until now. I noticed the other day the plug gets very warm when charging so now I'm charging it out back behind the shop until I have a better understanding of the fire risk.
    Heh. Last time I was within spitting distance of a golf cart, they still used lead-acid batteries.

I do get a chuckle when people complain about a thread in the "Off Topic" forum straying off-topic...did you forget where you were, bubba? [/QUOTE]

Agree wholeheartedly! Apparently if you start a post about golf balls you better not stray into the golf club facet or else you might get clubbed. Rabbit trails are sort of the standard here in this sub category. Off topic in the off topic forum. Who'd of thunk it?
    Last edited by Ronald Blue; 07-04-2022 at 12:56 PM.

Folks,

Wouldn't it be fair to say that if it is easy to understand why the thread was removed it would also be easy to explain why? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has no idea what it was or whether it was one of my posts.