Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: And POOF! It Was Gone!

I will do my best to review the thread in question again and restore it if possible but not on the 4th of July as I have other activities that I must do today as most of you can understand.

1. We rarely provide a reason publicly when threads or posts are removed. Honestly we would like to do just that on every occasion but there just isn't enough time in the day given the time it takes to accomplish our normal activities.

2. When we receive complaints or requests to deactivate peoples accounts here and they provide feedback expressing their concerns about a particular situation we generally react pretty quickly by removing the item from view. We then have the option to take the time to share comments about the problem and react responsibly. Every Moderator here will normally provide comments on issues at hand but we all have different schedules and live in different time zones so we will generally wait until we feel we have allowed a responsible amount of time before a final decision is made.

3. Friendly debate is not an option here it is absolutely necessity. We have to be able to share our opinions and allow opposite points of view to be expressed. This is what a forum is, a place to discuss topics of interest and to learn from others.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-04-2022 at 2:17 PM.

When something is political, it's merely subjective, a matter of personal opinion.

Of course, there are those who object to moderating because they enjoy challenging authority.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    I will do my best to review the thread in question again and restore it if possible but not on the 4th of July as I have other activities that I must do today as most of you can understand.

1. We rarely provide a reason publicly when threads or posts are removed. Honestly we would like to do just that on every occasion but there just isn't enough time in the day given the time it takes to accomplish our normal activities.

2. When we receive complaints or requests to deactivate peoples accounts here and they provide feedback expressing their concerns about a particular situation we generally react pretty quickly by removing the item from view. We then have the option to take the time to share comments about the problem and react responsibly. Every Moderator here will normally provide comments on issues at hand but we all have different schedules and live in different time zones so we will generally wait until we feel we have allowed a responsible amount of time before a final decision is made.

3. Friendly debate is not an option here it is absolutely necessary. We have to be able to share our opinions and allow opposite points of view to be expressed. This is what a forum is, a place to discuss topics of interest and to learn from others.
    Enjoy your holiday Keith. I don't think anyone expects you to take time away from family and relaxing to deal with this. Happy 4th of July to everyone!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    So the thread started by Kev Williams about EV fires must have turned very political because it's gone. Not just locked but gone. I hadn't been on here since Friday. What happened?
    Well, poo. I only got to post once in it. 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    1. We rarely provide a reason publicly when threads or posts are removed. …
    Sometimes its obvious and sometimes not. As well as most here police themselves, sometimes, as is apparently the case on the EV thread, someone needs to tell us (me). Even if by PM with the offending word, phrase, post, or tone. Or we will do it again; consuming still more of the Mod’s time.

I was ‘in’ the thread in question, reading, when it ‘vanished’ (on my refresh to see if anything new had been posted). I saw nothing that meets my definition of politics, excepting perhaps public perception of an acronym - - and hence my question above about that dread acronym. Again, please tell me if this is a trigger.
    ______
    And I hope all have a safe 4th; be especially careful if traveling.
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 07-04-2022 at 3:04 PM.

My singular response about the "why" for when many threads like that get removed from view comes down to something my mother used to teach..."It's not what you say but how you say it". Yes, sometimes verboten topics get in the way, but MOST of the time, it's because people stop being polite while expressing their views and frankly, a moderator or three having to take the time to slice and dice and julienne a thread just to keep things civil just isn't worth it, especially for an "off topic" topic.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Post number 2 in this thread explained it.
    No, it does not. Closing the thread and removing it is not the problem at all, the problem is there is no reason given why it has disappeared from sight. For instance was it political, did it contain personal attacks on other members etc. For it to simply disappear is not a good look at all no matter what caused the removal.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Of course, there are those who object to moderating because they enjoy challenging authority.
    The reverse is not unknown either.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    The reverse is not unknown either.
    I don't recall seeing that happen Chris. Doesn't mean it hasn't, but if it does I'm thinking it's pretty rare.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I don't recall seeing that happen Chris. Doesn't mean it hasn't, but if it does I'm thinking it's pretty rare.
    It is not common but I have seen it happen more than once.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    The thread got off topic more than it was uncivil.
    going off topic is pretty ez for me to do

I commented last night in the metal category and this morning realized it had nothing to do with the op EA01F1C8-88A7-4D5F-9652-7A89D6FAB2BE_4_5005_c.jpeg so I deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Duckworth View Post
    going off topic is pretty ez for me to do

I commented last night in the metal category and this morning realized it had nothing to do with the op EA01F1C8-88A7-4D5F-9652-7A89D6FAB2BE_4_5005_c.jpeg so I deleted
    If this was a meeting at a woodworking shop some of the conversations would get very interesting. You would quickly form opinions on how people feel about subjects and either engage or avoid those subjects. Most likely there would be a lot of laughing and kidding around. On-line it's different. Not being able to see the person or people you are talking to makes it harder to figure them out. But the just wanting to have a nice conversation never goes away. That, of course, leads to the subject getting derailed. But "Off Topic" should be the place for a thread to go off track sometimes. It's fun to learn things about people and subjects that otherwise would never have come up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    No, it does not. Closing the thread and removing it is not the problem at all, the problem is there is no reason given why it has disappeared from sight. For instance was it political, did it contain personal attacks on other members etc. For it to simply disappear is not a good look at all no matter what caused the removal.
    Post number 2 says it got political.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....