Thread: Carbide Tip Bandsaw Blade sharpening

Carbide Tip Bandsaw Blade sharpening

I tried cutting some 8/4 x 7" Cherry into 3/8" x 7" strips and my Laguna 3/4" Resew King, on a Laguna 1412 bandsaw, made it about 4" before progress pretty much stopped.

This is a 5 year old Laguna 3/4" Resaw King blade that I now think needs sharpening.

I'll probably buy a replacement Laguna 3/4" Resaw King as it served me well up to this point and send out my used blade for resharpening if it's worth the cost of sharpening and shipping.

Does anyone have recommendations and approximate cost for this service, thanks.

On a side note, I went down the street to my neighbor, who has what looks like a Powermatic Showroom, and ripped my pieces into the strips using his Jet 3HP fitted with a 1" Resaw King.

Hey Chris,

I would definitely send it out for sharpening. That’s kind of the beauty of the carbide blades. If you don’t sharpen them, that is a costly disposable blade. There may be another sharpening vendor, but I’ve used Laguna twice and both times were positive experiences. I recall shipping and sharpening were around $50-60 all in. Took them two weeks to get the blade(s) back to me. The second time I sent them two resaw kings, and that was maybe $75-80 for two blades. I still have no idea how they fold the blades 5+ times to get the coil so tight. I wish I knew, because it would save shipping costs to get them in a smaller box.

Has to be an extra twist. Maybe pull some up, and milk the rest around smaller. I'll let them do it though.

Coiling bandsaw blades for 5 loops instead of 3.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    ... I still have no idea how they fold the blades 5+ times to get the coil so tight. I wish I knew, because it would save shipping costs to get them in a smaller box.
    If you were here I could show you in 15 seconds!. I mostly "fold" once for three loops but sometimes coil/fold twice for five loops.

If you can fold it once for three loops, you can easily do five loops like this:
    1. Coil (fold) once to get three loops. I do this in the air in front of me.
    2. Hold that coil in one hand and increase the size of one loop.
    3. Grasp the large, third, loop and coil it exactly as you do a for an uncoiled blade. It will make three more loops that you fold into the original two for five total. For the second fold I think it's a little easier to hold the two smaller loops against the floor with my foot but I've done it both ways.

Photo of the initial step, folded once for three loops then one loop made longer, about to put those two on the floor and hold with my foot before the next fold.
    band_coil_01_IMG_20170807_143948_951.jpg

With five loops after the second fold/coil.
    band_coil5_IMG_20170807_143824_792.jpg

Just for fun: seven loops for bragging rights. The notepad show the difference in diameter.
    band_coil7_IMG_20170807_153046_018.jpg

My blades are 1/2"-3tpi, 142" long. Might be harder with a wider or shorter blade. Could probably do 9 loops with a thin, 1/4" blade.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 07-03-2022 at 2:52 PM.

Here's a link to the Laguna page about resharpening the Resaw King. https://lagunatools.com/resources/resharpen-blades/ It costs $45 regardless of blade length. You pay the shipping to them, and they pay the shipping back to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Here's a link to the Laguna page about resharpening the Resaw King. https://lagunatools.com/resources/resharpen-blades/ It costs $45 regardless of blade length. You pay the shipping to them, and they pay the shipping back to you.
    Much appreciated, it'll be in the mail tomorrow.