Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Milwaukee adds a Track Saw to the market

Milwaukee adds a Track Saw to the market

Milwaukee just had their pro user/influencer event and one of the biggies revealed is a new 18v Fuel powered track saw. It looks "very worthy" and has some nice features, including some micro adjustability and some stability relative to the track while cutting bevels. Kyle from RR Buildings spent a bit of time with the tool and it's pretty impressive. It's also compatible with existing Festool and Makita tracks which is nice for folks who have saws with tails that want to go cordless. I can see value in that even "in the shop" as it's easier to control one dust hose over both a hose and a cord for anyone who doesn't have a "bonded" hose/cord setup.

They released other tools, too. Here's Kyle's video. The tracksaw talk starts at about the two minute mark.

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Unreal. I'm heavily invested in Milwaukee 18V cordless and have been waiting for that saw for years. (It was rumored to be imminant in 2020). I could have used it on several projects over the years.

But two months ago I had a project that needed a track saw, so I bought the Makita cordless system. It's a really nice saw and was great to have for the project.

Oh, well. Maybe it's better to not be exclusive to one cordless platform???

Eh, seems pretty much the same as a Makita or Festool. Unless it’s cheaper than the competition, seems like just another track saw.

Finally a red tracksaw. It’s about time
    Aj

Yay another made in china product knocking off an established product for likely not much less $
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Eh, seems pretty much the same as a Makita or Festool. Unless it’s cheaper than the competition, seems like just another track saw.
    For folks invested in the Milwaukee platform, it's a real plus. It's good to have another choice on the market for folks. While I'm a "Festool guy", I really do appreciate other quality brands, too. With more and more folks in the trades actually adopting the use of track saws on the job site, another cordless option is of high value, too. The proposed pricing that Kyle mentions in the video is relatively attractive, I believe.

I also appreciate that they opted for track compatibility, too...which means there are a lot of accessories from various vendors, such as TSO, that can be leveraged for the "red" saw.
    --

I'll have to be sure to watch for my Home Depot Seeds email Wednesday. I like my DeWalt but I'd love to have a cordless even if it means getting some track. There are brands like Powertec that seems to make good Festool compatible track that is much less expensive - at least up to 55 inches.

Seems to be 3 price levels in track saws. I would put Festool in the top price category but I don't believe they are the most expensive. Lots of nice features, I'm sure. Down a notch are Makita and DeWalt, probably Kreg and probably this new Milwaukee. Still a quality tool that will do work as good as the most expensive tools but not quite as user friendly.

The lowest level gets as low $100. I got one for use by us volunteers at church that is the Evolution. It takes 7.25 inch or 6.5 inch blades. With a 60 tooth Freud Diablo blade it makes really nice cuts. I should have probably gotten better track but we use two 50 inch Wen tracks and the short ones the Evolution came with. Whole setup was about $250. Definitely a notch below my DeWalt but still very nice to have available.

Thanks for sharing Jim. I have several M18 tools, and have wished I had a cordless track saw a handful of times. He mentioned price at $399 for the saw. That probably does not include a battery..... This thing will appreciate one of the larger batteries, so that's a cost to think about too. The large batteries are not cheap.

Drooling once again

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Jung View Post
    Yay another made in china product knocking off an established product for likely not much less $
    For a moment there, I thoughbt you were talking about Festool.

Does anyone know when it will be available?

October 2022. List price $599.
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Polubinsky View Post
    October 2022. List price $599.
    I believe that's the cost with the Packout, etc. They will be offering the bare tool, too.
    --

I've never used a track saw, are the tracks different between each brand? Right now I use a regular circular saw with an 8' Lufkin straight edge but have thought having a track that breaks down would be useful. 8' is kind of difficult to transport and being wood weather can be an issue. Like most, I'm invested on one companies brand of cordless tools. Started off with Makita when they were the only real brand (7.2v) but when I started having problems with their drills I switched to Milwaukee after using a friend's cordless impact. I wonder if Milwaukee will make an upgrade for their tilt-lok saws so it'll work with the track.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I've never used a track saw, are the tracks different between each brand?
    Festool, Makita and now Milwaukee use compatible tracks. I "think" Mafeil is also compatible, too. DeWalt has its own design track which is very different. I could be wrong, but I don't believe that Kreg's track saw uses the same track format, either.

I wonder if Milwaukee will make an upgrade for their tilt-lok saws so it'll work with the track.
    Track Saws are designed in a way to integrate with the track from the ground up in multiple ways, so adapting a regular circular saw that's built completely differently would be a challenge. The old "EZ" system could do that, but at the expensive of a thick add-on base, etc. Since you're in the Milwaukee ecosystem now, their new track saw would be worthy to consider if you want to add one to your arsenal because of the M18 Fuel battery compatibility.

Honestly, it would be one for me to consider, too, if I wanted cordless since it's compatible with my Festool and Makita tracks and I don't own any 18v Festool cordless tools already. So are both the Makita and the Festool for the same reason. Right now, I'm fine with the tailed track saw but for future buys, cordless would clearly get consideration.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 07-03-2022 at 7:08 PM.
    --