Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
I'm not a big fan of cordless tools for jobs where you need to hold the tool in your hand that use a lot of power. Either the battery just doesn't last or the battery is so large and heavy the tool becomes awkward to use. SO I've held off getting a cordless circular saw. But I have come into a situation more than once where I need to make a limited number of cuts so battery power would be nice. Also when ripping a sheet of plywood with my 8' straight edge having to manage the cord is an issue. It sucks cutting 3/4 of the way through a cut only to have the cord get caught in the cut or on the edge of the track/ straight edge. It would be nice to have a saw that could do double duty. Both a regular circular saw (for cutting things like a 2x4 and also a track saw for ripping sheets of plywood.
The saw you hope for does exist Alex. The mafell kss 40. Lightweight, circular saw, crosscut saw, track saw, all in one. The mafell tracks are the EXACT same as bosch tracks other than color, buy the bosch for a fraction of the price. Mafell is also on the cordless alliance battery system so metabo batteries (who make the mafell batteries) work in it for a fraction of the cost.

It's pricey. The weakness of mafell is that Timberwolf tools controls 100% of the sales in the US and they appear to also be the ones in control of expanding sales to other stores. As such, the kit costs $1315 which includes saw, crosscut track, flexi track, systainer, two batteries. For your needs, this would cover everything. Having a rollup track might be intriguing to you for simply doing plywood cuts.

The only weakness I see in this saw is that it has a small blade and wont cut a 2x4 when on the track. Depending on the type of work you do, this might not matter.

As far as the milwaukee goes: It's good to see them continue to grow and I have unlimited milwaukee batteries. I already have the mafell cordless tracksaw so I wont be seeing red soon.

Truly, the saws I want to see more of are the crosscut saws. Mafell is essentially the only company with an assortment of them. Festool has at least one with a corded and cordless option, but is rumored to be underpowered. Metabo makes some that are compatible with crosscut tracks, but the track and saw don't play together well. I like my mafell enough that it eliminated a 4" 6-1/2" and 7-1/4" circular saw from my truck. I use it to make general cuts, light framing work, trim work, scribing, flooring, and basic tracksaw duties. If I could get a 6-1/2" lightweight milwaukee crosscut saw... that would be a dream.