Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3/4" D-Way bowl gouge

3/4" D-Way bowl gouge

Does anyone on this forum have the 3/4" D-Way bowl gouge?
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

I have a 5/8". Is that close enough?

I do have one, and don't use it. I have several 5/8 gouges, both D Way and Thompson, and for gouge work, they are my go to tools. I just find the 3/4 too big for practical work. Some do really like them. I am different in that I do all of my heavy roughing with the Big Ugly tool, which is a 1 inch wide scraper.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Bukovec View Post
    I have a 5/8". Is that close enough?
    Bill

Thank you for your post.

Your 5/8" D-way may be relevant to my query. Does your 5/8" have a parabolic or U flute profile?

I have some of Dave's 1/2" and 5/8" BGs with the parabolic flutes, so I'm familiar with those.

His 3/4" BG only comes with the 'U' fluted profile, so I'm seeking input on that.
    Neil

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I do have one, and don't use it. I have several 5/8 gouges, both D Way and Thompson, and for gouge work, they are my go to tools. I just find the 3/4 too big for practical work. Some do really like them. I am different in that I do all of my heavy roughing with the Big Ugly tool, which is a 1 inch wide scraper.

robo hippy
    Reed

Thank you for your post.

What I'm seeking is input on Dave's 3/4" BG, which only comes with the 'U' fluted profile.

Is your 3/4" BG from Dave and does any of your other BGs from Dave have a 'U' flute?

Like you, I have a bunch of BGs from Dave and Doug T, but all with either the parabolic flute from Dave or the 'V' flute from Doug.

I do have one BG with a 'U' flute, the Crown 1", but that one is another thing altogether.

It's the 'U' flute on Dave's BGs that I'm seeking input on?

Regards
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Strong View Post
    Reed

Thank you for your post.

What I'm seeking is input on Dave's 3/4" BG, which only comes with the 'U' fluted profile.

Is your 3/4" BG from Dave and does any of your other BGs from Dave have a 'U' flute?

Like you, I have a bunch of BGs from Dave and Doug T, but all with either the parabolic flute from Dave or the 'V' flute from Doug.

I do have one BG with a 'U' flute, the Crown 1", but that one is another thing altogether.

It's the 'U' flute on Dave's BGs that I'm seeking input on?

Regards

Neil,
    I have the 3/4" BG and use it to initially rough out large bowl blanks. I like it and find it hogs out wood faster than my Thompson 5/8".
    My preference is large bowls 16"-20" so the D-way gouge has been a benefit as most of those large blanks are hard to round on the bandsaw.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by CHARLES D Richards View Post
    Neil,
    I have the 3/4" BG and use it to initially rough out large bowl blanks. I like it and find it hogs out wood faster than my Thompson 5/8".
    My preference is large bowls 16"-20" so the D-way gouge has been a benefit as most of those large blanks are hard to round on the bandsaw.

Dave
    Dave

Thank you for your reply.

That is the same purpose for which I purchased the D-way 3/4" BG. I do most of my turning with 5/8" BGs, but reach for my 3/4" Thompson or Woodcut BGs when doing the initial roughing down of larger bowl and platter blanks, and occasionally also for my Crown 7/8" and 1" BGs.

When I got the 3/4" BG from D-way I was surprised just how thin the remaining metal was in the bottom and sides of the 'U' flute and how light and bouncy it was on the tool rest when roughing down irregular blanks. I had become used to having more steel remaining in my other larger Thompson, Woodcut and Crown BGs.

Here are three BGs below one another to show the difference; 3/4" D-Way at the top, 3/4" Thompson with secondary bevel and 1" Crown at the bottom...

Hmm... I'm seeing the following images in Preview and when I go back to Edit this post, but they are all showing up as invalid attachments when the post is opened on the forum. I'll have another go at uploading and attaching them... OK, that worked this time!

D-way 3-4in BG.jpg
    3/4" D-Way

Thompson 3-4in BG.jpg
    3/4" Thompson

Crown 1in BG.jpg
    Crown 1"

And, here are the thicknesses of the remaining steel in the bottom of the flutes of those three in the same order, plus the 3/4" Woodcut BG...

D-way 3-4in BG thickness.jpg
    3/4" D-Way - 3.6mm

Thompson 3-4in BG thickness.jpg
    3/4" Thompson - 7.5mm

Crown 1in BG thickness.jpg
    Crown 1" - 7.6mm

Wooddcut 3-4in BG thickness.jpg
    3/4" Woodcut - 7.4mm

The remaining thickness in the bottom of the D-way is significantly different from what I would expect in a larger BG. I'm starting to wonder if my 3/4" BG from D-way is different from how they mill their standard 'U' flutes.

If convenient, Dave, would you mind putting your vernier calipers across the remaining metal in the bottom of your 3/4" D-Way BG?

Thank you
    Last edited by Neil Strong; 07-04-2022 at 9:12 AM.
    Neil

Never noticed that the 3/4 gouge has a U flute. They do not take a swept back or 40/40 grind well. May be why I didn't care for it. As for the other D Way gouges, they are all a V flute, similar to the Thompson gouges.

robo hippy

The picture of the Dway looks like a spindle roughing gouge, not a bowl gouge...

I use Thompson 5/8" BG's. The U-shape in an irish grind is great for the inside of bowls. The V shape wasn't as good inside. So, I reshaped it to a 40/40 grind. Now that is my favorite on the outside of bowls. With a steady hand and some finesse, the U-gouge can cut across the bottom almost as good as my bottom feeder (1/2" Sorby U). I've been experimenting with a scraper for roughing bowls. Seems to remove a lot of material quickly, especially when cutting with some air.

Neil if you're interested I have a Glaser Hi-Tec 3/4" bowl gouge with parabolic flute. It measures just under 1/4" thickness under the flute.

20220704_173322.jpg 20220704_173417.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Never noticed that the 3/4 gouge has a U flute. They do not take a swept back or 40/40 grind well. May be why I didn't care for it. As for the other D Way gouges, they are all a V flute, similar to the Thompson gouges.

robo hippy
    Agree with you there RH, deep U flutes don't take so kindly to swept back grinds. The wings on my 11/4" SRG have been creeping back over the years and the top of the wings on that are a bit thugly now!

Last edited by Neil Strong; 07-04-2022 at 10:54 PM.
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mount View Post
    The picture of the Dway looks like a spindle roughing gouge, not a bowl gouge...
    Yes Dave, here is the 3/4" D-way on left and my P&N 11/4" SRG on the right (ignore the the graphics that I added for another purpose)... same profile!
    But, at almost twice the size, there is substantially more meat in the P&N SRG.

Must weigh the two to show how light weight the D-way is in comparison.
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by tom lucas View Post
    I use Thompson 5/8" BG's. The U-shape in an irish grind is great for the inside of bowls. The V shape wasn't as good inside. So, I reshaped it to a 40/40 grind. Now that is my favorite on the outside of bowls. With a steady hand and some finesse, the U-gouge can cut across the bottom almost as good as my bottom feeder (1/2" Sorby U). I've been experimenting with a scraper for roughing bowls. Seems to remove a lot of material quickly, especially when cutting with some air.
    Thanks, Tom.

Other than my Crown 1" BG that I use for roughing down larger pieces, all of my current BGs are either parabolic, catennary or V in the case of my current Thompsons, so I have little recent experience with U fluted profiles. Of course, like everyone else, I had to use BGs with the U flutes before the parabolics came along, but never like them very much. For example, the following photo has from left to right a P&N, Thompson, D-way and Crown Ellsworth. I let the the P&N with that more U profile go to a good new home!

For the inside bottom of bowls I found that a 65° bevel on any of those BGs worked well, so didn't need a dedicated U flute for that.

And, yes, the 40/40 does a good job on slicing down the side grain with almost all of those flute profiles other than the U.
    Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    Neil if you're interested I have a Glaser Hi-Tec 3/4" bowl gouge with parabolic flute. It measures just under 1/4" thickness under the flute.

20220704_173322.jpg 20220704_173417.jpg
    Thanks Pat.

That looks like a much healthier amount of metal to me in the bottom of a 3/4" BG.

I have no doubt that it performs very well.

That is such a sweet flute profile.

All hail Jerry!
    Neil