Thread: Sawstop ICS vs sliding table saw safety - a different type of question

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Post Sawstop ICS vs sliding table saw safety - a different type of question

Hi all. So, a bit of background. I currently own a Powermatic 5HP traditional cabinet saw. It's actually the 4th table saw I have owned in my lifetime and it's a great saw. In a few months I will be putting it up for sale. Basically, I want to get a safer saw.

Before you guys start ranting, I know these sliding table saws are inherently safer. I also like how the slider table runs immediately along side the blade without any table surface in between (not like a Sawstop sliding table). They are a highly superior solution for doing cuts safely. On a slider, I could clamp down a small 1-2" piece of square wood and make a precision cut safely without any special jigs. This is impossible on a table saw without a special jig or getting your hands so close to the blade. I can rip a precise 1/8" strip off a board if I wanted to. I have seen some really weird cuts done on a sliding table saw that would be exceedingly difficult or impossible on a traditional cabinet saw. Here's one example:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/-3PgtjWh6Rw

I have always been extremely careful when operating the table saw and always move slowly. However, I am 52 right now and I have been noticing my coordination. These are small things that happen sometimes like I'll open a drawer to grab a measuring spoon and fumble it where it drops to the floor. It's not a major thing and I never notice this when operating tools. It's always when I'm just doing other stuff and my minds not 100% on my hand movement coordination. I feel confident in working with saws right now, but I want to be safe for the next 20 years.

I'd love to get a slider. If I did this, it would be a Minimax SC3C. That's the biggest I could realistically fit in my 20' x 20' garage along with all the other tools and shelves and stuff. The Sawstop solution would be the ICS 5HP with 52" fence, small sliding table and outfeed table.

I know the Minimax sliding table is inherently safe, but I am still strongly considering the Sawstop because my coordination in the future could start degrading (being human is not perfect). I am just fearing the day where I could fumble my hands into the blade. What are all your guys thoughts on this particular safety consideration? Am I putting too much emphasis on this?
    Last edited by Aaron Inami; 07-02-2022 at 4:52 PM.