I’d like help evaluating two options for a router table top. Purpose will be general; nothing specific in mind, for random projects ranging from furniture size to jewelry box size.

I’m planning on building a router table top to go on top of an existing rolling cabinet. This cabinet slides under my workbench when not in use. See picture. It’s 22” wide, 26 ½” deep. The open area uses 13” of space (front to back) in the back part of the cabinet; drawers occupy the front part of the cabinet. Open area height is 15”. I’m planning on using a Dewalt 618 router, which will be mounted in the open area. My new router table top will replace the existing plywood top.

For the top, I have a piece of formica salvaged from a laundry room remodel. It’s ¾ inch thick that could be reinforced on under side; total size of my formica slab is 24” x 38”.

My options are shown in the diagram, a bird-eye view.

Option 1: Set it up for a fence that runs cross ways (so max length of fence is the 22” width of the cabinet). This is easiest, but less infeed & outfeed table top range. I have some roller stands that could be set up for long boards infeed and outfeed..

Option 2: Set up fence so that stock runs front-to-back with a hinged table on the back end of the cabinet. In the down position, my cabinet still rolls under the work bench. When the hinged portion is in the up position, I could add 12” of outfeed using the formica leftover, or up to 30” by making a new table top. That would give me lots of outfeed, but perfectly aligning the hinged portion with the fixed table top might be a bit of a challenge (at my current skill level).

I’ve only done a few router projects, using a small piece of plywood clamped onto sawhorses for a router table. So I’d appreciate advice from more experienced router users about which option is better. And I’d also appreciate other random comments that might help on this project.

Thanks.

Router rolling bin 3.jpegRouter Table Diagram.jpg