Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First experience with dust jamming a blast gate

First experience with dust jamming a blast gate

I am still getting used to my new central dust collection system. I have only collected about 1 1/2 barrels (35 gal per barrel). Anyway, I noticed the blastgate on the planer would not fully close. I have heard about dust jamming the slide so my thought was that didn’t take very long. I removed the gate and disassembled it. Sure enough about a tablespoon of dust fell out. It took about 15 minutes total to get back to work. I suppose I will get faster with practice.

DCA5BA76-255C-416D-9DFB-0ED87D84D785.jpg

I made my gates so the shutter can slide all the way through, self clearing. A air compressor helps. I find more and more uses for my gun cleaning kit even though I do not own a gun.
    Bill D
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    You can also try rotating your gate so that the corners that jam are not facing down. I have cut the corners out of gates to help with this. They leak a bit but never jam.
    Inkedblast gate anti clog marked.jpg
    Self cleaning gates are the real answer.
    BG-No-Shop (11).jpg
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    You can also try rotating your gate so that the corners that jam are not facing down. I have cut the corners out of gates to help with this. They leak a bit but never jam.
    Inkedblast gate anti clog marked.jpg
    Self cleaning gates are the real answer.
    BG-No-Shop (11).jpg
    I considered placing the slide facing down (pull down to open) but it is awkward to operate that way. I think I may have operated the planer with the wrong gate open one time. Not doing that again would help.

I think my blast gates could use design improvements. In addition to the jamming, the thumbscrews are hard to access and turn.

Blog Entries
    Self cleaning gates are indeed a good answer. The cast alloy ones can be modified with an angle grinder so that the slot is open on both ends to allow the dust can escape from the closed position as well as the open position. You have to take care not to pull the gate all of the way out or create a new stop.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Rocking blast gates fix all the problems, can't jam and with cords hanging down can be mounted very high

My NEW Unique Blast Gates (sawmillcreek.org)

Full plans can be found on the Australian WW forum
    Last edited by Chris Parks; 07-02-2022 at 11:08 PM.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Chris, that’s a creative design. I haven’t got enough room around my ductwork for them but I like the idea

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Chris, that’s a creative design. I haven’t got enough room around my ductwork for them but I like the idea
    The beauty of this type of BG is it can be high and still usable via hanging cords. Blind ended BG's are a problem, Clearvue actually put leaks into the corners at the blind end to scavenge the dust at the blind end.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Sorry to seem dumb here, but I've never encountered the topic of blocked blast gates. Now I don't know if my Nordfab gates are self-cleaning. What does the design of self cleaning gates look like compared to "ordinary" blast gates.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Thomas,

Simple solution is to clip both corners of your blast gates enough to expose the slide a bit...you can see the small square open gap on the corner of the gate below. This allows the gate to suck in a small amount of air through the hole, keeping the slide free of debris. I just carefully clipped them at an angle on my mitre saw. They shouldn't clog now, but if they do, you can just shove a stiff piece of wire into the holes to dislodge the dust and chips from the slide.

Screenshot 2022-07-05 095712.jpg

Since I switched over to WoodPeckers FullThrottle Blast Gates that problem is gone. No more sliding blast gates for me
    Ron

Mine are Nordfab also. The slide channel of the blast gate can fill with sawdust preventing slide from closing. You are just lucky not to have encountered it.

Actually, in my case, I think the dust accumulated in the front of the slide channel because it was not open when the planer was running. When I opened the gate the next time, dust just fell into the groove. Lots of fixes for this. You may never have been so inattentive with dust collection gate alignment to have experienced this.

To those offering self-cleaning options, those are duly noted. I will revisit those if I cannot cure the problem with more attentiveness to gate alignment.

Blog Entries
    I use the Lee Valley self cleaning gates and they've never plugged up. But one improvement I wish for is a low friction hold feature so I don't have to fiddle with the thumb screw.

I have Nordfab Quick Fit connections on my gates and tight constraints on size which limits alternative brands/design of gates. For now, I looking for things to reduce the problem with existing Nordfab blast gates.

Does anyone have experience on slides oriented in horizontal versus vertical planes for plugging? For gates in vertical plane, should the slide close in the up direction rather than horizontal or down?

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    I have Nordfab Quick Fit connections on my gates and tight constraints on size which limits alternative brands/design of gates. For now, I looking for things to reduce the problem with existing Nordfab blast gates.

Does anyone have experience on slides oriented in horizontal versus vertical planes for plugging? For gates in vertical plane, should the slide close in the up direction rather than horizontal or down?
    FWIW, Thomas, I have slides in both the vertical, horizontal, and 45 degree orientation on my Nordfabs, and no clogging. Also slides up, and slides down.

I'll take being lucky, I guess, but I don't see any difference the orientation makes in my setup. Perhaps my 5HP Oneida just overwhelms the design and sucks up the chips that might get clogged. Who knows?
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 07-08-2022 at 8:08 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.