Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much to discount a plane

How much to discount a plane

Hi All,

IÂ’m eyeing two hand planes on Facebook marketplace but each one isnÂ’t perfect. IÂ’m curious how much of a discount on fair market value I should ask for? IÂ’m looking to use these planes but already have each one so donÂ’t need them either.

case 1 is millers falls no 9 with a handle that was broken and has been glued back together.

case 2 is a Stanley with a no name cutting blade

Thanks in advance for your help!

It would help to know what they are asking for each. Pictures would help too. Best advise I can offer is to sample some similar planes that have recently sold on ebay to see what others have paid.

Blog Entries
    I bought this No 9 a few years ago for $35 but prices have gone crazy.

MF No 9 (2).jpg

I'll assume the Stanley is a No 4. Patrick Leach's latest list has a 1930s No. 4 ready to go for $115 so that may be a good indicator from a retailer. The missing iron wouldn't concern me other than deducting the cost to buy a replacement.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Join this group. Knowlegable sellers and fair prices. If nothing else you will get an idea of what things are worth when bought by sold by people who know tools.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/CanIHaveItToolAuctions

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hill View Post
    Join this group. Knowlegable sellers and fair prices. If nothing else you will get an idea of what things are worth when bought by sold by people who know tools.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/CanIHaveItToolAuctions
    thanks for this link! I may end up buying a few things there!

looks like I was too late on the Stanley

Quote Originally Posted by Luis Reyes View Post
    thanks for this link! I may end up buying a few things there!

looks like I was too late on the Stanley
    It is VERY addictive, I've bought far too many tools there. The sellers have all been excellent and I've never had a deal go bad

Hi All,

IÂ’m eyeing two hand planes on Facebook marketplace but each one isnÂ’t perfect. IÂ’m curious how much of a discount on fair market value I should ask for? IÂ’m looking to use these planes but already have each one so donÂ’t need them either.

case 1 is millers falls no 9 with a handle that was broken and has been glued back together.

Don't go down the rabbit hole. You need three bench planes -- a jack, jointer, and smoother and maybe a spare iron for each. Since you only need three, either buy good new ones, or if going vintage units in tip-top shape.

Save money for joinery planes, wood, and other shop supplies.

Restoring basket case tools isn't woodworking. You don't need to be able to bring a plane back from the dead to understand how it works and to use it effectively. If this were the case, you'd never have heard of Chippendale, Sheraton, or Hepplewhite -- they would have gotten sidetracked with a bunch of useless navel gazing.

Trust the people with a reputation of making (or having made) quality tools to do just that and supply you with what you need, whether new or vintage.
    Last edited by Charles Guest; 07-03-2022 at 10:24 AM.

Well said Charles, I love my vintage planes but if I had to do over I would probably get quality new ones. I haven't sold any of my planes but I could anytime I want to. (looking up plane buying anonymous support number).

Sage advice Charles...I love looking at the planes for sale, but I have the ones I need and I am interested in woodworking not tool collecting.

You might pm James Spangler. He restores planes and offers them for sale in the classified section. He currently has a 5 1/2 C listed

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Guest View Post
    ... You need three bench planes -- a jack, jointer, and smoother and maybe a spare iron for each.
    I have been using my small block plane more lately as well, so maybe one of those. You can probably do some of that with the #4 (smoother), but it has been mostly easier with the block plane for say adding a small chamfer.

Plane snobbery?
    Does NOTHING to help the OP...

Have been USING the very planes some turn their noses up at....for a few DECADES....most at least older than I am.

"Not woodworking.." Really....but, at least I will have cash on hand to buy the lumber to use with those tools...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Or...just ask the people who actually USE those "Vintage" planes in real life......
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

FYI - I was a member of that group, and while I found the sellers there fair and knowledgeable, the group is a sellers oriented group. The admins will generally act to protect the sellers first.

Blog Entries
    Hi All,

Hi Luis, what are your plane plans?

Some like Charles like the minimal approach to their shops and only want to work wood, not remove rust. Yes, they can do it all with just three bench planes and a block plane on the side.

Others enjoy the work of removing rust and bringing old tools back to life and using them, giving them away or selling them. Many of my expensive tools were paid for by restoring old tools. All that time spent and still being able to do woodworking when desired.

Still others like to be surrounded by a plethora of tools. If one gets dull, there is another on the shelf. One plane can be set up as a fine smoother another as a scrub plane while one more is set up in between. All kinds of possibilities.

My own choice on planes was to try to stay with one maker. The duds were stripped for parts for the ones that could be restored to a serviceable condition. This is easier than trying to keep separate storage for parts from different makers.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)