Thread: Sharpening Area Upgrade

Sharpening Area Upgrade

I don’t know about the rest of you, but it seems that often I have to figure out how get something else to “fit” in my garage shop — the old “five pounds of stuff in a four-pound bag” routine. Well, my latest was my grinder(s). I got a second grinder from a club member, and wanted to incorporate it so I could have more than just CBN wheels at my disposal. I had about 32” (812mm) of space, and realized that with the grinders being side-by-side on their individual platforms, in the only place I could possibly put/have two grinders, I wouldn’t be able to effectively use them as such — not enough room laterally! So I slept on it for a few days and then came up with the solution. There are drawer slides out there called ‘pencil’ or keyboard’ drawer slides. They have angle brackets on them and are meant to mount under a desk top or whatever. My solution — turn them upside down and mount them on top of my available surface!
    The slides I used are Accuride 1209 (IIRC).

0367928E-7BB8-4544-B23C-DC45AEF0340F.jpg

Then build a three-sided ‘tray’, the underside of which has the other half of the slides mounted to it.
    3CF23027-5079-4A7B-B6D9-C4AEED699592.jpg

Slide on two platforms, side by side with 1/2” between them, for the two grinders
    628681B7-3A11-418B-A744-00231ED8925B.jpg

Then mount the grinder (and attachments) to each tray/platform, and slide out to use, without interference from the other grinder!
    3BB59D3E-223E-4E17-963E-EB6FE677CEA9.jpg

To polish it all off, I turned and mounted a disc behind the grinder to keep my SB Tools angle gauge from getting ‘lost’. And a block to hold disposable plastic cup, with lid, to keep water in to cool my tool(s) during grinding/sharpening
    7D9DA614-D130-46E4-B3C7-9A9981E54F2C.jpg
    This has worked out very well, possibly better than expected! I’ve got a slight pain in my shoulder from patting myself on the back over this!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

There is nothing to say, except sorry about the sore shoulder! Great use of limited space.

Thanks for sharing.
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...