Thread: Klingspor "gold" vs Klinspor "shop roll" for sanding

Klingspor "gold" vs Klinspor "shop roll" for sanding

I mainly use Vince's blue discs or Woodturners Wonders discs for power sanding.

But, I do hand sand sometimes. In the past I have used Klingspor's 2"x 10yd j-flex cloth backed "shop rolls" which are the reddish/brown color. The description states "Whether you're a turner, a carver or just need to sand that certain little spot, you'll be raving"

But, Klinspor also sells their Klingspor Gold in rolls 2" x 32ft j-flex cloth backed. Both products are aluminum oxide. The description states "This material is also used in wood sanding and is often called A Woodturners Dream Paper."

Opinions based on your own use on which one is better?

Thanks
    Ricc

I've never tried the rolls but use the gold and am very happy with it FWIW (but I was using really cheap sandpaper from HF before so I was easily impressed).
    Tom

Ricc,

I've tried a number of different sand papers and I stick to Klingspor Gold in 400 grit and coarser. The cloth backing is more flexible that many other types, great for hand sanding. I use more 400 and 320 than any other grit.
    I like the rolls and made a dispenser fastened to the wall behind the lathe to keep 1" and 2" wide rolls within reach. I made the dispenser for 400-80 but never used the 80 so I moved everything over and put a slice from a roll of paper towels in the first slot. Quite handy since I almost always want only a small piece.

lathe_PM2_Jan17_IMG_5751.jpg lathe_wall_papertowel_IMG_5.jpg

I like to glue strips of 1" and 2" Klingspor Gold sandpaper to flat pieces of wood or plywood to make sanding sticks - the best way to sand some things on and off the lathe. I use spray adhesive. Quick to replace when worn.

sanding_blocks.jpg

For hand sanding I use my unpatented soft sanding block a lot - it's sandpaper pinched around a flexible white magic rub eraser, fantastic for flats or curves on bowls, platters, etc.

sanding_soft_block.jpg

I don't know about which disks might be good for power sanding. I quit power sanding with rotating disks some years ago. I do use fine grits with gentle motion from 1, 2, and 3" pneumatic random orbital sanders, mostly off the lathe. Sometimes Gold, sometimes Vince's, sometimes Woodturners Wonders'.

sanding_IMG_20171212_094330_319.jpg

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ricc Havens View Post
    I mainly use Vince's blue discs or Woodturners Wonders discs for power sanding.

But, I do hand sand sometimes. In the past I have used Klingspor's 2"x 10yd j-flex cloth backed "shop rolls" which are the reddish/brown color. The description states "Whether you're a turner, a carver or just need to sand that certain little spot, you'll be raving"

But, Klinspor also sells their Klingspor Gold in rolls 2" x 32ft j-flex cloth backed. Both products are aluminum oxide. The description states "This material is also used in wood sanding and is often called A Woodturners Dream Paper."

Opinions based on your own use on which one is better?

Thanks
    Ricc

I use a lot of the Klingspor gold and like it especially the finer grits. I have made a lot of different sanding blocks . I recently cut up one of those 2 foot square shop mats and made some sanding "blocks" with them to sand contours. It worked surprisingly well.

Thanks Larry, Thomas, and John!

John, I do have a similar dispenser by my lathe for 2" sanding rolls. But, I had been using the "shop roll" instead of their "gold". It is time to restock so I was curious of the quality difference and which one might last longer.

Larry, nice idea on the foam sanding blocks!

I appreciate the input from you gentlemen.

Any one else want to give their opionions?

I had some rolls of it and when it ran out, I did not replace. I was going with some Norton 3X, which I think has changed. What I want to find is the purple 3M Cubitron cloth backed sheets. Heard several, including Mike Mahoney, claim that it lasted several times longer than standard abrasives. 3M seems to only want to market that to commercial accounts. I think it was only available in grits up to 220. I also want to find that for my drum sander. The yellow stuff from Klingspoor seemed to load up fairly quickly, like before it 'wore out'.

robo hippy

thanks Reed. I replied to your other post on the other forum.

Anyone else have any input on the Klingspor products I mentioned above? (I don't need anymore recommendations on discs as I alreadly have that covered)

Bump for the new week in case anyone else has any experience with these two Klingspor items.

I have called Klingspor twice to get some info. Each time I got a different customer service and each time all they did was read me the product description they have online. I told them I can read! I was looking for their expert advice on which was better. First one said she didn't know but that I should buy them both and make up my own mind. The second person said he didn't know and there was nothing else he could say but what was written on their website.

I have used the gold and bargain box rolls. The gold is very flexible, while the bargain stuff varies from not quite as flexible to very stiff. My guess is the "shop rolls" are stiffer than the gold. I can't say if the extra cost is worth it. I use the flexible bargain stuff quite a bit for turning and it works fine, the really heavy stuff I use for flat block sanding or toss. You can use discs for hand sanding, either on a mandrel or folded and hand-held.

I really like the Cubitron discs I got for my random orbit sander. If it were available in rolls or sheets I would buy it. Even with the premium price I feel it's a good value.

I have the Gold rolls in 80 through 400 and a Shop Roll in 600. So while I really can't do an apples to apples comparison the gold's backing does feel a bit more flexible. The gold isn't that much more expensive so I'll likely continue to refill on the gold edition.

Quote Originally Posted by David M Peters View Post
    I have the Gold rolls in 80 through 400 and a Shop Roll in 600. …
    David, have you ever tried Indasa Redline Rhynowet 600 grit paper? Once I tried it I can’t go back to any of the 600 papers I used before! The backing is flexible and very tough, nothing like the cheap black wet/dry paper. I use it dry and wet sand, often with oil. Easy to clean if it gets loaded.

The stuff comes in sheets so for small things on the lathe I usually cut it into about 1”x3” strips and keep a bunch handy in a little bin.

JKJ