Thread: Japanese Genno Hammers

Japanese Genno Hammers

I’ve been noticing these Genno hammers more and more often, and having only 15 or 16 striking tools, I thought they deserved my consideration. Especially since I have some that go unused. The design is elegant in its simplicity and the two faced aspect promises utility. As I recall, Derek may have a couple for use with his Japanese chisels. Anyone else? Worth thinning my current herd in favor of a couple Genno?

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Blog Entries
    Worth thinning my current herd in favor of a couple Genno?
    Is there a reason for not adding without the thinning?

There are only one or two in your grouping that might get thinned if it were up to me.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The ones I use …

These gennou have Tenryuu heads with a Tsuchime (hammer) finish. The larger is 375g and the smaller one is 225g.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Is there a reason for not adding without the thinning?

There are only one or two in your grouping that might get thinned if it were up to me.

jtk
    I just don't ever use some of them. The brass and bronze hammers for example. The weight is perfect and I love the aesthetic, but the heads are too soft. They're intended for use in a tool and die or mold shop. I rarely use the ball peen hammers either.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I just don't ever use some of them. The brass and bronze hammers for example. The weight is perfect and I love the aesthetic, but the heads are too soft. They're intended for use in a tool and die or mold shop. I rarely use the ball peen hammers either.
    The brass also are used in places where sparks could be a problem. A friend's neighbor backed into his gas meter. The fire department used a brass sledge to drive a brass plug into the pipe to close it off until the gas provider could take care of it.

There is no reason to have two of something you don't use unless you want a collection of them. Clean up the mushrooming and see if one can be gone.

My ball peen hammers get used often. Some of what you have might not get used very often in my shop. Even my upholstery tack hammer comes in handy at times.

My rip & claw hammers number to at least a half dozen around the shop.

The mallets may have them out numbered. They are kind of fun to make.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I find my 375g Genno widely useful. One face is flat and the other lightly convex. The middle weight offers precision with sufficient heft. Great for chiseling dovetails or even tweaking a tense drill press setup with a large board. David Charlesworth used one when I was in his shop and I saw and felt its worth. I ordered one from Axminster while I was there and it came in to his workshop the next day. I tend to take advice from tool-using experts. The 375 reminds me of David when I see it in its cradle above the bench, adding to my enjoyment of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    The ones I use …

These gennou have Tenryuu heads with a Tsuchime (hammer) finish. The larger is 375g and the smaller one is 225g.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    The version with the dark handle is what I envisioned. What is the weight on that? Where does one go to purchase a head? I’d prefer to make my own handle.

I have a 115g genno that is the perfect micro adjuster for things like paring guides, stop blocks, alignment of small parts. Not to mention dialing a plane iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    The version with the dark handle is what I envisioned. What is the weight on that? Where does one go to purchase a head? I’d prefer to make my own handle.
    The smaller is 225g. I make my own handles. The heads I have are custom. However, the mass-produced heads/handles are very good. I have a couple. If you prefer, replace the handle.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMad...oraGennou.html

Regards from Perth

Derek