Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mesh network question.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    BTW, optimal mesh system performance also comes from hard wired Ethernet connections between them with a third network for backhaul as the next best scenario. (tri-band) Mesh systems that do not support tri-band are going to suffer in performance if they have to depend upon mixing backhaul between nodes with actual device traffic on the same 2.4 and 5 ghz networks as devices.
    Kudos to Jim for mentioning this. The items are marketed as plug-n-play and they are . . . just not with the higher end specs if they are also doing wireless backhaul duty.

I have yet to take the leap but, the wireless-use footprint in my house is centered around about an 800 sq ft area. I'm also not a gamer so one older AP in the house and a hardwired one in the shop on a different SSID covers my needs. As the backyard gets closer to becoming a family gathering point I will bite the bullet and mesh things out.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Alan, it's not unusual for there to be limited or no backward compatibility with devices like this in the industry...'nature of the beast. Mesh systems are "one unit" when they are, um...meshed...so identical hardware is to be expected.
    Sadly I learned that. But I just have a hard time believing there is much of a difference in units between their Wifi 6 mesh router and Wifi 6E mesh router that they both presently sell. Reeks of planned obsolescence IMHO.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Sadly I learned that. But I just have a hard time believing there is much of a difference in units between their Wifi 6 mesh router and Wifi 6E mesh router that they both presently sell. Reeks of planned obsolescence IMHO.
    Actually, from a market tier perspective, it does make a little sense. "Relatively speaking" a huge majority of folks (at least in the US) cannot get Internet speeds that can take advantage of even basic WiFi-6 capabilities. (I'm very thankful that I have 1gb symmetrical fiber available here for $80) The newer chipsets, etc., cost more, so manufacturers can provide a more cost effective product to all those folks who can't take advantage of the latest speeds. That's unlikely to change within the "normal" lifespan of the devices, too, IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...