Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oops, I have rust in my air compressor tank!

Oops, I have rust in my air compressor tank!

Last year, I got a new 27 gallon air compressor. I try to empty the tank at the end of each day, but most of the time I don't remember that task. I just noticed that I'd left the compressor on for at least a couple of months (another no no) and had never emptied the tank in all that time. (I'm a tax CPA. Things get a little hectic until April 15, when I then focus on all the other client matters that were put off because of tax season.) I just emptied the tank and noticed that the water sprayed out was rust colored. Other than doing a better job of emptying the tank at the end of the day, is there anything else I should be doing?
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

Every steel compressor tank I have (several) does that.

On my pancake compressor, the drain valve is not at the bottom center of the tank. It is like they designed it to leave a puddle of water even if you drain the tank. I tip the tank to try to get it all. Oh yeah and the water is a bit rusty. I only use the compressor occasionally and drain it after every use.

I agree with Tom, it’s not a huge problem. That said, I added an automatic drain valve (ADV) to my compressor and have been rust free ever since. The low humidity of Albuquerque helps too.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....nally-some-air!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    A rusty tank will eventually kill a common farm and home type horizontal air compressor. I am on my third compressor tank in 40 years. Pro compressors tanks are made with much thicker steel. I hope my next compressor has an auto drain. Being vigilant about draining should help. A pressure vessel made from Chinese steel is a risk I hope I do not have to take.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-29-2022 at 6:12 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    I agree with Tom, it’s not a huge problem. That said, I added an automatic drain valve (ADV) to my compressor and have been rust free ever since. The low humidity of Albuquerque helps too.
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....nally-some-air!
    I followed my friend Bruce's advice, purchased the same automatic drain and installed one on my 26 gallon Husky single stage air compressor.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I do not believe you have anything to worry about...that's still a relatively short period of time and "rust" is going to happen even if you drain every day 'cause it's unlikely that the inside of the tank is painted or coated with anything. My original auto-drain died before I moved shop, so right now I'm doing the "manual" dance for that at least weekly if not sooner. Note, I do not depressurize my tank as it takes a lot of run time to refill a 60 gallon unit. Right now, I just have a stop cock on an extension from the drain at the bottom and that flows through a piece of hose through the wall to the outside of my temporary shop. When I have my shop building back up, I'll invest in another auto-drain.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    These DeVilbis 5 HP compressors from Sears and Lowes were a big bang for the buck regarding air. The tanks were crap. I was also neglectful with draining. There was a recall of several pancake models in the 1990"s

IMG_0596.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-30-2022 at 7:21 AM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

The water out of my little California Air aluminum tank runs clear.

I open the valve at the bottom of my 60 gallon tank when I get to the shop and blow out the moisture.
    Draining the tank completely would mean I have to refill it to use it.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate the advice.

I haven't powered my compressor off in 15-20 years. It sits with about 120psi in it and cycles about once every three days, if I don't use air, to top up the bleed down.

It's been in use in MD,FL, NJ, TN and TX, the first four being pretty humid climates.

Reading a thread, similar to this a few years ago, I decided to drain my tank.

I rolled it outside, expecting a gallon or so of water. I go about a teaspoonful (brown spot).

A quality tank can have the drain valve off the bottom but with a internal dip tube to the tank bottom. Few have the dip tube. Best practice is to have a horizontal pipe out of the drain port to hold water between drainings.
    Bill D.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I haven't powered my compressor off in 15-20 years.
    The reason I try to remember to shut off my compressor when leaving the shop is because of a bad experience I had several years ago. While I was out of town on vacation, a connected air hose split. I returned home to find that my air compressor had been running non-stop for about five days. I turned it off and, once cooled off, it would not run again.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

FINGER LAKES AREA , CENTRAL NEW YORK STATE
    I have a small 5 gallon unit that I drain and leave the drain valve open when the unit is not needed, I don't use it every day but when I do and blow it down the amount of water that hits the floor is amazing given the actual time I use the compressor.
    Corrosion in a receiver tank is simply bad news and dangerous . For compressors ( receiver tanks) the insurance policy is an auto drain and is relatively cheap given the alternatives.
    FYI
    https://www.vanairsystems.com/what-a...ed-air-dryers/
    mike calabrese