Thread: FS - Diamond Edge 8" drawknife

FS - Diamond Edge 8" drawknife

This one cleaned up well. The patina is heavy and nearly obscures the "diamond" with DE in the middle. The handles were in decent shape, but I refinished them and they are tight. The blade had only minimal hammer marks on the spine. There are a few very small chips that can be seen on the edge. These aren't dents - they are chips because the blade lamination is so hard. This knife should hold a good edge.

Diamond Edge was a brand of Shapleigh Hardware. The history of the brand starts with Augustus F. Shapleigh, who made his first excursion into the hardware business at the age of 15 in order to contribute to the support of his family after his father's death. In 1829, he took up a position as a hardware clerk with Rodger Brothers and Company of Philadelphia, PA. In response to the great westward expansion, this company opened a branch in St. Louis, MO. This hardware house, known as Rodger, Shapleigh and Company opened in 1843. In 1847, the company reorganized as Shapleigh, Day and Company, due to the death of Mr. Rodger, the senior partner.

The first Shapleigh catalog was published in 1853, basically as a salesman's pricing book. At Mr. Day's retirement in 1863, the name of the company became A.F. Shapleigh and Co. Shapleigh was a very large company, eventually buying out what was left of E. C. Simmons Hardware (of Keen Kutter fame.) However, they were not a manufacturer. Given the size of the company and the massive market they enjoyed, it is likely that their drawknives were made by one of the larger and more well-known makers as a smaller company could not have supplied them.

The famous Diamond Edge trademark was adopted in 1864. Apparently, Diamond Edge tools were the first line of edge tools in the United States to be covered by a jobber’s trademark.

I have established a proper bevel on the blade and the edge is sharp. The backside is in excellent shape. From the chair work I do in oak, it seems bevel down works best and having a very slight rounded backside bevel, hardly perceptible, seems to allow good entry into the wood and it makes it easy to lift out of a cut if cutting bevel up. The tangs on this knife are properly positioned for bevel down, but the knife can also be used bevel up without discomfort. As usual, it comes with my "custom blade guard!"

$55, plus actual shipping. Payment by personal check. I prefer to ship you the knife, and if you like it send me a check. If you don't, then ship it back to me and pay me nothing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DE4.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	481913   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DE3.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	481912   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DE1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	147.8 KB 
ID:	481911   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DE2.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	143.4 KB 
ID:	481910  

Left click my name for homepage link.

Blog Entries
    I always enjoy you interesting historical write ups on the tools you sell John.

This is one company I have done a little research on due to a scythe purchased and put to use with the Shapleigh trade mark on the blade. The snath (handle) was old and rickety. Fortunately for me a few years ago a hardware store that had been closed for more than forty years had a cleanout sale and had a barrel of Diamond edge snaths that were an exact replacement. Set me back $8.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

$50, plus shipping.

Final price reduction to $45, plus shipping. If that is too much for you, then I understand but it is worth that to me and I will keep the knife. If the last several months have told us anything, they won't be any cheaper or easier for you to acquire in the future.

The four knives I now have listed will be the last drawknives I intend to rehab and sell. I am "retiring" from trying to acquire the good brands and spend time getting them back into usable shape. While I enjoy the process, and seeing a usable knife emerge from what may appear to be a piece of junk, it takes way too much time and effort and I have other things I want and need to do in the time the good Lord has left for me!

Thanks for looking.

This one is sold! Thanks.