Thread: 3D Scanning Service - Check This out

3D Scanning Service - Check This out

If you own a CNC Router you will definitely be interested in visiting this web site even if your just cruising the Net looking for some interesting information.
    Spend some time looking at Brady Watson's web site and take a look at just a few of the projects he has done. I was able to visit his shop just a few weeks ago and I have known Brady for several years. We have had a number of conversations at the annual Aspire event in South Carolina, it's always a pleasure to sit down with Brady and the other guys at the Aspire event just to listen to the conversation and get a glimpse of where CNC is going and how scanning has become such a big part of the industry.

http://www.ibild.com/

Brady does really good work...he helped with a mutual project I did with another 'Creeker awhile back. Major time saver and it was so accurate that the hand tool marks in the original pattern were reproduced.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Brady has been one of my long-time mentors. A mentorship that morphed into a great friendship. We have collaborated on projects and swapped services for a decade and a half. I have referred him to a number of my high-end machine customers that require very tight tolerances. To a man, these customers have been so impressed with the quality of his work they have taken the time to give me thanks for the referral.

Imagine that! He does the work and I get the fruit basket!
    Gary Campbell
    CNC Replacement & Upgrade Controllers
    Custom 9012 Centroid ATC

I find this interesting, have been thinking of rough shaping my banjo necks on the cnc rather than by hand. Doesn't need to be perfect and ready for sanding, I'd want to do that by hand.

Can anybody give me a ballpark guess of what the cost might be to have it scanned? $100's, $1000's....?

Quote Originally Posted by richard newman View Post
    I find this interesting, have been thinking of rough shaping my banjo necks on the cnc rather than by hand. Doesn't need to be perfect and ready for sanding, I'd want to do that by hand.

Can anybody give me a ballpark guess of what the cost might be to have it scanned? $100's, $1000's....?
    The cost isn't huge, Richard, and considering the time savings and repeatability, totally worth it for unique contours like that. Click on the link that Keith provided above and ask Brady directly via email. Provide a few photos and he should be able to give you a ballpark number. If you like the opportunity, you'll send him the part to be scanned. Make sure it's a "really good one" because the scanning absolutely will capture evey nuance and tool mark.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Brady Watson is a serious professional in his field and one of the nicest guys you could ever meet. My first professional experience with his company was based on a job that came to my sign shop at CNU, the job was to machine a 1" thick by six foot diameter ring from naval brass that was to be embedded in the floor in our Library. I did the original CNC drawing and contacted Brady, IBILD was the only company I knew of at the time who had the capability. Besides machining text and graphics in the ring the job involved preheat and post heat of the colored fill material that was used in the text and graphics design provided by our Architect.

The sign shop at CNU didn't have a means to handle the weight of the brass sheet and we did not have the ability to provide the necessary heat treatment. Last but not least I didn't have the skills to machine the ring and I was relieved when management accepted my recommendation to contact IBILD to get an estimate to make the ring. I did the light work preparing the CNC drawing and machining the plywood templates the masonry tradesmen needed to install the Italian marble floor while Brady was machining the ring. Brady delivered the ring to CNU personally and I remember how impressed everyone was when they saw his work.

When I bought my router in 2016 I went to the Aspire camp. Brady was one of the best presenters there, and was clearly expert on translating 3D objects into machinable models. He explained several methods but hiring him would give better and faster results than trying to do it yourself.