Thread: Hide Glue Showing Under Tried and True Original

Hide Glue Showing Under Tried and True Original

I've started using Tried and True Original on my post and rung chairs along with Old Brown Glue. In the past, I used BLO and Titebond Liquid Hide Glue. I've noticed that the finish is lighter around my joints now. I do scrub well with toothbrush and hot water after assembly. I really like the finish, but I need to figure out a solution for this problem. I'm not sure if it's the glue, the finish, or a combination. Any suggestions?

Hide glue will certainly show under a finish. You may have to sand the areas where the hide glue was in order to remove it. Similar to what you'd have to do with PVA.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I would use the ‘real stuff’ ….hot hide glue ,it sets much faster than than the “convenient “ bottled stuff made extremely slow by an additive .
    Some say it is weaker than real hot hide glue.

Anything that prevents the oil from having even absorption is going to show...hide glue included.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I guess I misunderstood. I'm sure I've read multiple times that hide glue is transparent under finishes. I do try and scrub, scrape, and sand around the joints, but it's tough to get to some spots on a chair. I'm going to need to do a better job though.

Thanks, Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Lester View Post
    I guess I misunderstood. I'm sure I've read multiple times that hide glue is transparent under finishes. I do try and scrub, scrape, and sand around the joints, but it's tough to get to some spots on a chair. I'm going to need to do a better job though.

Thanks, Jason

Whether it is or isn't, anything that fills the pores will change the appearance of the finish put on top. I think that's the issue you are dealing with.

On future projects it might be helpful to mask off anything you don't want glue to get onto. I know it's a pain but it's less pain than what you are now faced with.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Lester View Post

Thanks, Jason
    I was told the same thing. Then I started using hot hide glue and learned differently. Jim and John are right. Anything that fills the pores of the wood will show through a finish.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.