Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do I do stuff like this

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hennebury View Post
    In the beginning you have to learn what to do and how to do, next you have to develop a system to apply what you have learned, then you have to commit to adhering to the system and develop the discipline to do so.

Failure of any part can result in...less than optimal results.

Surgeon fined $3,000 for amputating patient's wrong leg

By Allegra Goodwin and Jack Guy, CNN
    Updated 12:30 PM ET, Thu December 2, 2021

The wrong leg of a patient was amputated at the Freistadt Clinic, in Austria, earlier this year.

(CNN)An Austrian court has fined a surgeon 2,700 euros ($3,050) for mistakenly amputating the wrong leg of a patient.

The 43-year-old surgeon was fined at the Linz Regional Court on Wednesday, with half of the amount suspended, "for committing grossly negligent bodily harm," Walter Eichinger, the court's vice president, told CNN.
    On May 18 the surgeon, who was working at a clinic in Freistadt, "carried out an inadequate clarification with the existing medical records and the photo documentation before the operation for the planned amputation of the left thigh and thus marked the right leg for the surgical intervention," said Eichinger on Thursday.
    The right thigh was then "amputated without any medical indication," added Eichinger.

Happens more often than you think. Despite safeguards, at least in this country.

That being said, I've often wanted a wood burning stove in the workshop too. For times like this when you need some extra heat. Like today at 95 degrees.

Consider this a small mistake you'll soon forget. I've done far worse (not with human limbs).
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I try to mill some extra material as I go so I can replace a piece if something happens. Replacing the mistake then is less time consuming and you can feel kind of smart for planning ahead instead of being angry with yourself. The extra isn’t even wasted. I have been using the same dimension stock for drawer sides and backs or rails and stiles since the 80’s. I just save it. This strategy does not apply to human limbs.

Well put Mr. Backer!

What's the saying? "My projects are all one of a kind because I don't make the same mistake twice" or something similar to that. The person that never makes a mistake isn't doing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    What's the saying? "My projects are all one of a kind because I don't make the same mistake twice" or something similar to that. The person that never makes a mistake isn't doing anything.
    The difference is, some people accept that mistakes are inevitable....some don't.

I usually do stuff like that when I have spent a long day in the shop and "just want to finish one last thing". Overly tired = stupid mistakes.