Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why do I do stuff like this

Why do I do stuff like this

Cutting out a nice alder drawer box. Router cut dovetails fit nice. Just need to cut the groove for the bottom. I cut all four and then go to cutoff the back so that the bottom fits flush and as soon as I do I realize I cut the side not the back. Drawer was wider than long… but still. Arg. Stop. Put pencil down. Go inside and look at it tomorrow

No pictures are needed I don’t think.
    Bob C

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

We have all done things like that. Usually on the finishing touches.

Man that's a bummer. But I'm glad you stopped work for the day. Alot of accidents seem to happen when tired or frustrated.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blue tape is your friend. Label parts, and save a lot of misery. DAMHIK!

Next time you go to sign into a web page and have to prove you're not a robot just use this as your proof.

For me, getting really good at woodworking is not how well you can make something. It's being able to see the big picture. I often get focused on what I'm doing that moment so when I ask myself if the cut I'm about to make is right I don't always see why it's wrong. I think a part of it is really wanting to see how what I'm doing comes out as soon as possible.

Its a symptom is this work at home stuff…let me go out to shop and just take care of x. Vs being in the groove. Patience.
    Bob C

I didn't do anything like that.... today. But, then again, I didn't go into the shop today! Hang tough! We all do it periodically!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

We all do it. I try to laugh at myself and then learn how to avoid it next time. When it comes to drawer and door parts, as well as front frames, I label all connecting ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post

No pictures are needed I don’t think.
    What’s the forum adage … “Pictures or it didn’t happen”. Since there are no pictures, This didn’t happen. You just took some extra test cuts

I've always heard it called: "Getting in too big of a hurry."

In the beginning you have to learn what to do and how to do, next you have to develop a system to apply what you have learned, then you have to commit to adhering to the system and develop the discipline to do so.

Failure of any part can result in...less than optimal results.

Surgeon fined $3,000 for amputating patient's wrong leg

By Allegra Goodwin and Jack Guy, CNN
    Updated 12:30 PM ET, Thu December 2, 2021

The wrong leg of a patient was amputated at the Freistadt Clinic, in Austria, earlier this year.

(CNN)An Austrian court has fined a surgeon 2,700 euros ($3,050) for mistakenly amputating the wrong leg of a patient.

The 43-year-old surgeon was fined at the Linz Regional Court on Wednesday, with half of the amount suspended, "for committing grossly negligent bodily harm," Walter Eichinger, the court's vice president, told CNN.
    On May 18 the surgeon, who was working at a clinic in Freistadt, "carried out an inadequate clarification with the existing medical records and the photo documentation before the operation for the planned amputation of the left thigh and thus marked the right leg for the surgical intervention," said Eichinger on Thursday.
    The right thigh was then "amputated without any medical indication," added Eichinger.

Blog Entries
    The good news is the two long pieces can be reworked to make the short sides and you only need new material for the long front and back. You also have two short pieces for another project or for winter firewood.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    You also have two short pieces for another project or for winter firewood.
    I've always wanted a wood burning stove/heater in the garage seeing that I seem to always have some "EXTRA" wood on-hand.
    Labeling a mistake as "Extra or a Set-Up" piece helps justify the process.

Doug