Thread: System Cade Dowels Not Sliding Into Rails Easily

System Cade Dowels Not Sliding Into Rails Easily

Just installed a System Cado unit that consists of 6 rails with a cabinet and 2 - 3 shelves hung on each of the 3 sections (2 rails per section) of the wall unit. Ran into one problem where a few of the dowels on the back of the shelf supports do NOT slot easily into the rails. See attached picture.

Wall Unit Shelf Brackets.jpg

I do not want to force the shelf supports into the rail holes. And the whole idea of this system is the flexibility of moving shelves as needed. So if I force one into the holes, it would be more difficult to remove them from the rail.

Anyone have any ideas on a lubricant I could use on the dowels and receiving rail holes that will not damage the wood dowels or compromise their integrity over time?

Thanks!

Also see this url for more of a discussion about System Cado. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-cabinets-hang

I'd reach out to them for advice. Failing that, I'd probably try a little wax. Worst case you might have to sand either the dowel end, or the hole, depending on which is causing the problem. Should be able to figure that out by trying each bracket in various sets of holes. Since dowels are prone to going slightly oval; my money is on the dowels as the problem. An undersize dowel with a slit cut in it to allow you do slip in a short strip of sandpaper will give you a mini flap sander you could use to enlarge the holes if they should be the problem.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Can't reach out to them. The unit was made back in the 1970's; the manufacturer of System Cado is long gone.

The dowels do go into the corresponding rail holes; it is just that they do not go all the way into the holes such that the vertical backs of the shelf support are flush with the rail.

The idea of using wax might work. Any recommendations on the type of wax to use?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ewing View Post
    Can't reach out to them. The unit was made back in the 1970's; the manufacturer of System Cado is long gone.

The dowels do go into the corresponding rail holes; it is just that they do not go all the way into the holes such that the vertical backs of the shelf support are flush with the rail.

The idea of using wax might work. Any recommendations on the type of wax to use?
    Don't think it matters much as long as you avoid anything with silicone in it. Johnson's paste would be easy to brush on with an acid brush or the like, or you could rub them with a block of paraffin.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--