Thread: Bora Portamate Panel Carrier

Bora Portamate Panel Carrier

I'm at the end of slinging full sheets of plywood around my cramped shop. So this Bora tool seemed like the perfect solution. Found a great sale price and placed the order at an unknown place for me. I ordered on Thursday night at 10:45 pm and it shipped Friday at 9:45am, and Fedex dropped it off Sunday morning. To get the free shipping, I had to add a tape measure on sale to meet the $100 minimum. Thrilled with the service and it will assembled and tested very soon. Any tips from other owners? I know, late to ask, but with the ability to go from the van to the saw and fold up design, I'll put up some little issues! https://bearhollowsupply.com/collect...sheets-pm-1800
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 06-27-2022 at 2:41 PM.

You need a Crazy Horse Dolley

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley Gray View Post
    You need a Crazy Horse Dolley
    How does a Crazy Horse Dolley help me wheel in plywood from my van? Looks like it doesn't fold up too small when not being used either.

I have the bora unit and frankly don't find it very useful for moving sheet goods in my shop, mostly because it is difficult to maneuver in tight areas with frequent turns. For moving sheets from your van into the shop it might be ok. I think the Rockler panel cart is a better design, but I don't have first hand experience with it. I have a Crazy horse as well, and it works better for moving sheets around in my tight shop one at a time, and for getting sheets up on to the saw or workbench. Not so helpful if you are trying to move a stack.

Even though my Bora doesn't get much use, I had to replace the springs on the locking bar after a few uses. The original springs were poor quality and stretched out quickly.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    How does a Crazy Horse Dolley help me wheel in plywood from my van? Looks like it doesn't fold up too small when not being used either.
    Richard, I believe something like the Crazy Horse "could" be helpful for that if the surface you have available to roll into the shop can accommodate a rolling thing. If the van can be close to the entry such that putting a sheet or three on it doesn't involve any height transition, even better. (which if you think about it isn't inconsistent with other rolling surfaces) And yes, that kind of thing is very compact and easily storable.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Maybe I didn't make the best choice, time will tell. I'm not worried about maneuverability in the shop. When I had a full time shop, we used a skate type device with 4 wheels. When the plywood was balanced on it, you could tip the plywood forwards or backwards and that would lift a pair of wheels. Steering was easy then.

May I suggest the FastCap Speed Skate or Clip and Roll?

https://www.fastcap.com/product/speed-skate

Between a pair of these and a panel hook-type carrier, I can get most things moved without much difficulty

I have the Bora Portamate and it will do what you need it to do. However, it can be somewhat unwieldly to maneuver. I recently bought the Rockler panel carrier and while it was more expensive, it is far superior in stability and maneuverability when compared to the Bora Portamate. It also can double as a small axillary work surface.

Blog Entries
    I don't know how much space you have, but I have some brand that is a duplicate of this: https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/b...dolly-2400-lb?

It's excellent. I use it all the time. Big wheels allow it to work in gravel (my lot is gravel). I used it the other day to push around 4ft x 8ft metal garden boxes! This thing is excellent.

The thing you ordered looks picky to me.. i.e. put the sheet in just the right spot so it doesn't tip, push it just the right way so it doesn't tip, etc.

I'd share a picture of my shop and how I work, but I would loose any respect I have left. If I had any to start! I'm going to be 70 in a couple months, and have been nursing a bum knee for almost a month. My days of using my plywood hand hook/carrier is gone. 50 years of doing this will soon have me doing nothing bigger than a bread box! LOL

I have the woodcraft model and omg is amazing. I bought it a while back (before the pricing insanity started) and feel its the best 150 bucks I've spent in years. I feel it offers all that the rockler version offers with a smaller footprint.

Had one. Broke almost instantly. Threw out.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I'd suggest the Rockler Material Mate. I have one and it's pretty nice.
    chris

Lots of recommendations for something else, and if you read my post, I already bought the Bora. Guess I made a big mistake, but planning on using it tonight to see if that is the case.

Jealous, My shop is not big enough to roll a 4x8 sheet of anything. Not a problem because I don't do much plywood stuff anymore after converting to hand tool. The other issue is my shoulders are shot and lifting something that heavy is out. I can't even throw a piece of gum out overhand. I now need loading help and when home I break it down in the bed of the truck or pull it straight on to saw horses. Sucks to get old I guess.