Thread: Voyager 58000 Questions

Voyager 58000 Questions

Hello, I'm ready to replace my 1980s vintage Delta drill press, and am considering the Nova Voyager 58000. For those who have this machine, are you happy with it? I've read some reviews that say that getting the table square to the quill is difficult, and tilting the table is difficult... have folks had issues with this? How is the runout? I'm a Mac user and I realize that the firmware updates require a PC--but how often does one have to do these...
    Thanks for sharing your experiences-
    Izzy

I have had the Voyager for a number of years and love it. The run out is almost nothing and my table is square. It is more than accurate for woodworking and most other uses.

Please do a search as there are numerous threads about it.

I'll echo what Larry said...no issues with mine, no trouble squaring it. I have not had occasion to tilt the table other than playing with it when brand new. If I need an angled hole, I generally use a tapered shim or tilting vise, simply because that avoids having to re-square and recheck the table afterwards.

I have never updated the firmware. When I last checked, maybe a year or so after I bought it, the firmware version was still the current version, so I don't think it changes often.

My biggest nit is the three beeps when you turn on the power. It's no biggie but it annoys me....
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy Charo View Post
    Hello, I'm ready to replace my 1980s vintage Delta drill press, and am considering the Nova Voyager 58000. For those who have this machine, are you happy with it? I've read some reviews that say that getting the table square to the quill is difficult, and tilting the table is difficult... have folks had issues with this? How is the runout? I'm a Mac user and I realize that the firmware updates require a PC--but how often does one have to do these...
    Thanks for sharing your experiences-
    Izzy
    Don’t know what you read or where - but it adjusts like any other press. I’d question the source, their competence and or their agenda. Does it have the “best” table and adjustments out there ? No. But that’s something entirely different.

I’ve never updated mine. I should , because the early models weren’t programmed for keyless chucks. Not sure what program the current ones ship with.

I’ll tag on to Paul’s gripe - the beeps don’t bother me , but waiting a minute to two before I can drill a hole bothers me a lot. That’s how long it takes to boot up the computer after switching it on. I could just leave it on all the time I suppose.

Be sure to get a surge suppressor receptacle ( or strip) to plug it into.

I've had the Voyager for about 3 years now. Very pleased with it. I'm still impressed at how quietly it runs. I haven't checked in a while, but I've never updated the firmware. I actually use very few of the electronic bells and whistles, just setting rpm and zeroing the depth to set the physical depth stop.

I got my runout down to .007 with the included chuck after resetting the arbor in its taper several times. I'd like better but I guess I need to invest in a new chuck. Make sure to clean that taper very well. I found a piece of packing tape in the taper when I cleaned it out.

Just a few minor issues so far.

1. I've never tilted the table after playing with it at set up. The wrench for the anchor bolt was totally insufficient to tighten the table back up. I had to resort to a 1/2" socket wrench to get the leverage to tighten that back up.
    2. The physical depth stop has a spring inside to lock it in place. I think this spring is too weak. It is easy to move that stop when bumping against it when drilling a hole. Hopefully Nova has put a stronger spring in there in the past few years. I've gotten better about slowing my pace just as I approach the stop, but I still have to reset the stop a couple of times when I do a production run.
    3. Assuming you would want to add a larger woodworking table, the table height handle is wide enough that it may be interfered by a standard rectangular table. Following a design by another Creeker, I built a notch in the backside of the table to allow clearance.

Edit: One last thought, if you are looking to put that DP on a mobile base, you might consider assembling the DP on the mobile base vs putting one under the assembled DP. It was a bit hair-raising to get that machine onto a base afterwards.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 06-27-2022 at 9:55 AM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Another one with negligible runout and who have never updated the firmware (I also have a Mac).

The table - and shopmade subtable - adjusts like any other, but I have not moved it from square. Instead, I have built a fixture for when I need to drill at an angle …

Regards from Perth

Derek

I put a keyless chuck on and measured run out at 0.003".

I agree that the mechanical stop is too weak. I replaced it with two flanged nuts and a washer.

I bought one to replace our Powermatic 2800B (what a piece of crap). Have since bought a second one. Best woodworking drill press available and isn't trying to be a vertical milling machine.
    my 2 cents
    Chuck

Lots of very good information here.... I appreciate the input from this very knowledgeable group! Sounds like this is a terrific drill press and well worth saving my pennies for!