Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Initial//Complimentary Tools for my NEW lathe

Good morning!
    Wow, 15 posts and no one has mentioned a club yet? I would say, find if there's a turning club in your area, and join. They may have someone that will mentor you and share ideas, let you borrow stuff.
    For an example, if you were close to me, I'd let you use my sharpening setup, and you can purchase a mildly expensive (Skip the cheap ones) card hones and hone your tools. Every so often refresh the edges on a sharpening system. I sharpen on my grinders every so often.
    Others will have a different opinion.
    This could spare you temporarily from buying a system. And it could give you insight if you wanted to invest in CBN wheels, a Tormek or Wolverine. An entirely different argument.
    I'll run a pitch for the Tormek. It is by far the most expensive system, BUT, if you get the turning system package, it comes with jigs that sharpen almost everything in your home. Kitchen knives especially. This could make your wife who bought you the lathe happy. (I assume she cooks)... My wife complains when knives get dull. I keep her happy. I sharpen my mother in laws knives too.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Iwamoto View Post
    Good morning!
    Wow, 15 posts and no one has mentioned a club yet? I would say, find if there's a turning club in your area, and join. They may have someone that will mentor you and share ideas, let you borrow stuff.
    For an example, if you were close to me, I'd let you use my sharpening setup, and you can purchase a mildly expensive (Skip the cheap ones) card hones and hone your tools. Every so often refresh the edges on a sharpening system. I sharpen on my grinders every so often.
    Others will have a different opinion.
    This could spare you temporarily from buying a system. And it could give you insight if you wanted to invest in CBN wheels, a Tormek or Wolverine. An entirely different argument.
    I'll run a pitch for the Tormek. It is by far the most expensive system, BUT, if you get the turning system package, it comes with jigs that sharpen almost everything in your home. Kitchen knives especially. This could make your wife who bought you the lathe happy. (I assume she cooks)... My wife complains when knives get dull. I keep her happy. I sharpen my mother in laws knives too.
    You should read them a little closer, especially #1. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....62#post3200862

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    You should read them a little closer, especially #1. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....62#post3200862
    Always so quick to criticize.
    I give up.

Huge shout out to everyone for their time and advice
    Getting super psyched to start turning at my own place
    Made a ton of purchases and plan for the next few months

Purchased from the great advice:
    The Pen Turner’s Bible
    Nova G3 Chuck Bundle with Pen Jaws
    Impact-Rated Face Mask
    ½ HSS Spindle Gouge
    Multi-roll Sanding Pack
    Sanding Sponge Set
    RZ Dust Mask
    IsoTunes Hearing Protection

Budgeting:
    Tormek T-4 Magnum Bundle

Still looking for:
    I’m wondering if I should get a Pen Turning Starter kit like Rocklers, or just a mandrel and barrel trimmer
    M2 Jacob’s Chuck
    M2 live Center

Just my $0.02 Alex, but I would put the Tormek low on the priority list of your tooling up process, unless you have a non-turning reason to own it. I own one I was given by the widow of a woodworker friend. I use it for flatwork tools (paring and framing chisels, plane blades) and it's a nice tool, but I don't use it for turning tools. With the grind I get from a 600 grit CBN, it only takes a couple swipes with a diamond paddle to refine the edge of I feel it's necessary. I do 95+% of my turning right off the CBN.

Your mileage may vary.

Best,

Dave

I put a 600 grit cbn on my tormek and absolutely love it - I do however use the platform for free hand sharpening of turning tools alittle bit more than the jig. I've also had the chance to try out the Wolverine jig on a grinder with cbn and that is also really nice, much faster than my tormek (and a tiny less forgiving).

Consider a 3m half mask respirator. I own an RZ as well and the fit is hit or miss. The 3m doesn’t look as cool, but it’s better imho.