Thread: Poplar Fly Tying Bench

Poplar Fly Tying Bench

Well here is my second major wood project. I needed a desk for tying and doing computer work and wanted to use the slabs I had left over from my kitchen cabinets. The wood had sat for another year in the meantime so I am hoping I won't see the movement in the wood that I did with my cabinet fronts. I noticed the earlier thread using poplar and he used the term Condor tails vs Dovetails, I ve been calling them Dovetails... Anyway. Most of the work was done by hand purchasing a Cosman saw and some fairly good chisels. The Bowties were walnut, purple heart and local sourced Osage Orange. I will add a desk caddy, side drawers and finish the built in shelving area in the near future.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, that's a workbench, nicely done!

Thank You!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    Wow, that's a workbench, nicely done!

Real nice. Love the lights and handy drawers. last flies I tied several years go proved my eyes aren't what they used to be........those lights would have helped big time!

Blog Entries
    Really Nice! I have helped family and friends with their tying benches. I do not have one of my own yet. Thanks for the reminder that it is something that deserves attention.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-28-2022 at 10:02 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    Real nice. Love the lights and handy drawers. last flies I tied several years go proved my eyes aren't what they used to be........those lights would have helped big time!
    I was tired of fiddling around around with a light bulbs and shades and shadows. These are perfect.

Nice. When I used to tie I used an old drafting table adjusted almost flat. Those days are long gone. After 10 years in storage I sold my whole kit to a young tying enthusiast that I work with. He has enough necks and other supplies to last 20 years.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Nice. When I used to tie I used an old drafting table adjusted almost flat. Those days are long gone. After 10 years in storage I sold my whole kit to a young tying enthusiast that I work with. He has enough necks and other supplies to last 20 years.
    I think we all have had mentors like that and I look forward to one day passing on my accumulation!