Thread: I made a molding plane

I made a molding plane

Hi,

Thought that I would post a few pics of an ogee plane that I made at a class at Roy Underhill's school in Pittsboro, NC last weekend. It was a 3 day class. Stephen Slocum taught the class. It was very well organized and Stephen did a great job. I forgot to take the corner off the outside of the fence and need to take a plane or sandpaper to the layout lines still.

I came away with a plane that looks good and functions well - and hopefully the skills to make another!

Roy will likely be closing his school after next year. Since I live close enough to commute to class, I wish that I had taken a few more over the years.

Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    Your plane looks great Jeff.

Is the wood used oak?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Your plane looks great Jeff.

Is the wood used oak?

jtk
    Thanks Jim. It is quarter sawn European beech.

Looks great! While reprofiling an old molding plane, I saw really quickly why European Beech was the preferred wood.

Good deal! I was eyeballing that class, looks fun. I took the window sash class over Memorial day.

Looks great! Sad to hear that the school is closing though. I'm a huge fan, met him at LN a bunch of years back and felt like he was a good person to shake hands with. I've wanted to attend a class there forever now but time... and distance. Nice plane.