Thread: Nova Chuck source question

Nova Chuck source question

I have two Super nova 2 chucks and several different jaws for them. I would like to pick up a couple more nova chucks and some different jaws as I do not have every jaw set they make but, I notice buying the chuck bodies alone is about as expensive as buying the whole set of their special deal units. Any advice as to where someone could pick up those chuck bodies reasonable or would teknatool consider other jaws with the bodies at reasonable prices? Thoughts?
    Denny

Always try to be the best but, never think you are the best.

I haven't found any deals on Nova chucks with anything other than the standard 50mm/2" jaws. I have bought one chuck body at a discount for around $90, but can't remember where. That was several years ago. Since then, I would just buy the SN2 with the standard jaws when there was a special, and then buy the jaw set I wanted to go with it. I now have several sets of 50mm jaws. I did buy a Record Power chuck and it uses the same jaws as the Nova. Identical chucks and I suspect may be made in the same factory. Only difference is you have to reverse the # 2 and #4 jaws if you swap between the two. I think that is because of the difference in rotation. Not quite sure. Again, I just shop around for the best price including shipping while buying. I try to stay with a reputable company if possible. BTW, I've never seen any of the jaws on sale, just chucks with accessories.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Nebgen View Post
    I have two Super nova 2 chucks and several different jaws for them. I would like to pick up a couple more nova chucks and some different jaws as I do not have every jaw set they make but, I notice buying the chuck bodies alone is about as expensive as buying the whole set of their special deal units. Any advice as to where someone could pick up those chuck bodies reasonable or would teknatool consider other jaws with the bodies at reasonable prices? Thoughts?
    if you have the old style (2years) SN2 I suggest buy while they are still available. Because the new model tightens the opposite of the old. Mixing chucks would be a disaster unless your ability to remember which chuck you have on the lathe is a lot better than mine.

The ones I have tighten CCW.
    Denny

Always try to be the best but, never think you are the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Nebgen View Post
    The ones I have tighten CCW.
    Yeah, that's "righty-tighty" into a spigot, they way they've done it "forever". (Everyone else is "righty-tighty" around a tenon.) Seems like TeknaTool decided everyone else was correct and recently changed. Buy every chuck you want from the remaining old stock because a mix is going to... be awful.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    Yeah, that's "righty-tighty" into a spigot, they way they've done it "forever". (Everyone else is "righty-tighty" around a tenon.) Seems like TeknaTool decided everyone else was correct and recently changed. Buy every chuck you want from the remaining old stock because a mix is going to... be awful.
    Did you mean to write “recess” instead of “spigot”? A spigot is another name for a tenon.

All my chucks are Novas and I’m used to and have come to prefer the clockwise turn to expand into a recess, perhaps becauseI almost always use a recess except when gripping round or square stock for spindles, such as finials.

I too have a box of spare 50mm jaws, std with all the Nova chucks except, if I remember, the Titan. Mine came with 5” Powergrip jaws.

One thing I do with all chucks as a key direction reminder: I make an short arc around the key socket with an arrow and mark in “IN”. This reminds me but especially students. I use an engraving tool and usually draw over that with a black Milwaukee marker.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Did you mean to write “recess” instead of “spigot”? A spigot is another name for a tenon. ...
    Oops, my bad. Thanks.

... One thing I do with all chucks as a key direction reminder: I make an short arc around the key socket with an arrow and mark in “IN”. This reminds me but especially students. I use an engraving tool and usually draw over that with a black Milwaukee marker.
    This is a great idea, if only I was neater with an engraver.

I bought a SuperNova2 body online from Woodworker Specialties in November 2021 and paid $135, including the insert. I just checked their site and the current price is $154 USD for one (with insert), but goes down to $130 each when you buy two.

I'm confused about the need to mark the direction of rotation, all mine have the tightening direction imprinted right on them (see example below). Maybe that's a vintage thing. I have Nova chucks from before and after the righty tighty change, but I have enough chucks that I have to consider rotation for each one anyway, so getting them all the same isn't a thing for me. Moreover, I use chucks in both compression and expansion modes, which requires a moment's pause to sort out what I'm doing.

Capture 226.JPG

Best,

Dave

One thing I do with all chucks as a key direction reminder: I make an short arc around the key socket with an arrow and mark in “IN”. This reminds me but especially students. I use an engraving tool and usually draw over that with a black Milwaukee marker.
    Ditto... and because I have a mix of Nova and VMs with both keys and bars, but don't add that if the key socket is stamped with the arrow.

Teknatool did/does make a 'companion' Nova chuck version that came/comes without jaws, but whether that is still being made I don't know...

https://www.teknatool.com/products/c...nly-sku-23269/

https://www.homedepot.com/p/NOVA-Sup...3067/204488285
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Throwing this factoid out since I was surprised when I made the discovery: One-Way Talon jaws and Nova jaws are interchangeable.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

According to Olivers Woodturning (see here) the Nova jaw sets "will also fit the Robert Sorby and Record Power chucks.

I presume from that that the jaw sets from Sorby and Record will also fit on the Nova chucks, but that may have to be tested out as compatibility isn't always bidirectional.

There is also this very old thread on AAW that has a lot of useful info on jaw compatibility.

I have used the VM -> Nova adaptor made by Vermec (you have to drill out the VM jaw screw holes to 6mm) and that allows you to use the VM jaws made for the VM100 on the Nova chucks. Not sure if Vermec still makes those adaptors. Contact Enzo at Vermec (who is Vic's brother, as in Vicmarc) if interested in that option.
    Neil

About the same distance from most of you heading East or West.

It's easy to see the Dunning-Kruger Effect in others, but a bit of a conundrum when it comes to yourself...

I have a set of Sorby “Patriot” jaws that I use on my Nova chucks. Fit perfectly!
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman;[URL="tel:3204986"
    3204986[/URL]]Throwing this factoid out since I was surprised when I made the discovery: One-Way Talon jaws and Nova jaws are interchangeable.
    I had never heard this. I have both brands of chucks, so I’ll have to investigate. Thanks for posting that Russell!
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association