Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Canadian breaker panels.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    What exactly did you see with your own eyes?

He may be legally listed as one of his electrical contractor's apprentices.

After spending about 20 minutes trying different searches for Homes doing electrical work nothing untoward has surfaced.

To my recollection he has shown bad work, tested wires with a neon type indicator and held a bundle of wires when demonstrating there is no way of knowing what goes where. He may have been holding a ceiling mounted pot light at one time or another showing how it fits into the ceiling.

jtk
    I've seen it on his shows, and definitely more than just testing for power or demo. If he was an electrician or apprentice, don't you think he'd include that bit of important info in his narrative?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I've seen it on his shows, and definitely more than just testing for power or demo. If he was an electrician or apprentice, don't you think he'd include that bit of important info in his narrative?
    What electrical work have you seen him perform?
    Was he installing a breaker panel?
    Was he pulling wire?
    Was he wiring lamp fixtures or outlets?

I do not know National Code for Canada, let alone the U.S.

I do not know if a General Contractor can legally be a helper to a licensed contractor.

If he does have multiple licenses should he mention that in every program?

How long do you think he would last if an electrical inspector watched his program and saw him doing something that went against code?

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 07-09-2022 at 7:43 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Okay, dug a little deeper on what is on the internet with Mike Holmes.

Here he talks about his doing electrical > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sZIHWt4_UU < at about 12 minutes in (the full video is a little longer than 50 mins) he mentions doing electrical work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I don't know what the laws are anywhere else, but here in rural NY it is legal for anyone to perform electrical work as long as it passes an inspection afterward. I have the impression from something someone said to me that in NYC or NJ you may need a license to do these things, but I don't know if that's actually true.

Blog Entries
    In most (all?) jurisdictions in Canada, a permit must be pulled to do any electrical installation. A homeowner can pull a permit for work done on their own residence only (services excluded). Any other permits can only be pulled by a licensed electrical contractor employing a master electrician.