Thread: Material Cart/Assembly Table/MFT -- RUWI Inspired

Blog Entries

Material Cart/Assembly Table/MFT -- RUWI Inspired

A year ago, I saw this amazing video of the RUWI top for their material cart:

https://vimeo.com/304834206

In desperate need of additional horizontal space and a decent assembly table, I decided I should have something similar. At the same time, David Best posted in the group about learning Fusion 360. Looking at the price of the top ($2k from Felder), I decided to 1) order a material cart from Rangate and 2) make my own top. After all, it was a learning opportunity with a primary focus on learning Fusion 360…

Well, the learning curve on Fusion is pretty shallow (people always get this wrong — a steep learning curve means that there’s a quick payoff to time spent). And it took my slow-witted brain a while to figure out where the pivot point needed to be to rotate the top from the compressed orientation to the expansive alternative (the absolute center of the top moves in a arc to the quarter point of the case but still on the longitudinal center line).

In addition, I had a number of other projects in the works, so after receiving the material cart from Rangate, I threw a couple of thick panels that were laying around on top and let the project stew for the fall, and for ski season, and, well, until I finished those other items that were in the hopper.

So, here’s the result. Here’s the result with the top in its compressed position.

IMG_3830.jpg

Here’s the top rotated on the case:

IMG_3833.jpg

And here’s the two tops are rotated 90 degrees to the orientation of the case — preparing for full extension.

IMG_3831.jpg

I use these cool 20mm expanding dogs to hold the two tops together when they are in the compressed orientation

IMG_3832.jpg

And there’s two drawers to hold all sorts of RUWI 20mm stuff. I ordered mine from Sautershop in Germany.

IMG_3835.jpg

It was a fun project.

Mike

Last edited by Mike King; 06-25-2022 at 7:11 PM.

Oooh....I like that. A lot. I'd love to see more photos of all the integrations relative to that innovative top.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That’s interesting. I love a good lift table / cart and have 2 of them in my shop and would take another!

When you say Rangate lift table - is that a Barth? Looked on their site and only saw a larger Barth table with vacuum pads clamps integrated into it, though I thought Martin sold Barth these days.

Looks like a 300kg capacity model similar to Felder FAT300, but a different brand. What are the details and pricing on it?

What are the closed and open dimensions of your top shown in those positions?
    Still waters run deep.

A big two thumbs up from me Mike, I am a huge fan of hydraulic tables and yours is very versatile.
    What are the size of the holes in your table and where did you order the expanding dogs?
    I have a four by seven motorcycle air lift table that needs a top to make it more useful.

Keith, the expanding dogs are likely 20mm. That really is a clever way to lock the independent surfaces together, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    That’s interesting. I love a good lift table / cart and have 2 of them in my shop and would take another!

When you say Rangate lift table - is that a Barth? Looked on their site and only saw a larger Barth table with vacuum pads clamps integrated into it, though I thought Martin sold Barth these days.

Looks like a 300kg capacity model similar to Felder FAT300, but a different brand. What are the details and pricing on it?

What are the closed and open dimensions of your top shown in those positions?
    The cart is one that Rangate has started carrying instead of the Barth carts they used to distribute. The two tops are 864mm x 1352mm ( 34 1/64 x 53 15/64). So, pivoted and expanded it is 1728mm x 1352mm.

Getting the RUWI stuff in the US is a challenge. Felder has some of it in their eShop. I ordered mine from Sautershop in Germany. Shipping charges are the challenge, but if you order enough stuff, it becomes less of a pain. Here's the link to the expanding 20mm dogs:

https://www.sautershop.com/clamping-...20-mm-ru-21136

And here is a link to all of the RUWI stuff they carry:

https://www.sautershop.com/search?sSearch=ruwi

Note that if you do order from them and are in the US, your price will be lower because you will not have to pay VAT. Of course, the shipping charge is substantial, and you may have to pay customs duties if the Customs service flags your shipment.

Mike

Would the longer Parf dogs work on this top to lock the tables? I use them on my MFT and they have been very good.

Can’t seem to get the link to Lee Valley to post.
    Last edited by Jack Frederick; 06-26-2022 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Incomplete

Blog Entries
    My hydraulic cart experience was less than stellar. Of course it was a Harbor Freight cart. Despite rebuild attempts I could not get it to stop leaking on the floor. It got banished and will soon find its way to the curb ;-( Your cart looks great. The concept is sound. My parts choice was poor.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    Would the longer Parf dogs work on this top to lock the tables? I use them on my MFT and they have been very good.

Can’t seem to get the link to Lee Valley to post.
    Probably. They might project above the top though. BTW, I did use one of the TSO bench connectors https://tsoproducts.com/bench-dogs/p...onnector-dogs/ as the pivot between the bottom MFT top and the case. You could use two of them to align the tops…

I am thinking about making an assembly type table with a hydraulic cart. It would be ideal to help my back. However, for those who have them, how bad is the issue of them going down slowly on their own?

Neither of mine drop down overnight and one of them is a “cheap“ cart from Northern Tool. My other one is a electric over hydraulic 2200 lb Bishamon scissor lift table that would stay at the same height loaded down for months I bet. Very strong and no leaks.

I have heard of others having other experiences but mine always stay where I leave them.
    Still waters run deep.

I too am curious what you paid for that Niveau, since it's not on Rangate's website.

My Harbor Freight lift table is a pain in every way, except lifting. It leaks oil on the floor, settles an 1" a minute at certain heights, and is awkward to move around. However, my Felder Fat 300 is a dream in every way...just not the $2k price.
    Last edited by Jonathan Jung; 06-27-2022 at 12:23 PM.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

I would imagine the one Mike has is likely priced very similar to the Felder tables, but would love to hear otherwise if that’s not the case. I love the idea and simplicity of them but simply don’t have the budget available to buy a cart new in that price range.

It took a fair bit of looking, but I found a 1000kg Bishamon electric / hydraulic scissor lift with 52”x37” steel table in very nice condition last year used for $500. I added very nice locking and swiveling casters ($200) and built a torsion box top from MDF ($100) that is 75”x40”, has 20mm dog holes on the 96mm layout and has storage cubbies inside the torsion part. I use it as an assembly table, sanding station, tracksaw cutting area, and so many other things.

Goes from ~20” off the floor up to close to 72” with a tailed remote and never leaks down or settles. Being that it is part electric I am limited to having a receptacle close by when it comes to lifting as opposed to foot pump, but this has probably been the best upgrade I’ve done to my shop in the last year and wish I had space for a few more like it. I also have a smaller Chinese made Northern Tool “IronTon” 1000# lift cart that I added a 40”x22” mdf top onto that gets used during milling, as a parts cart, and other smaller tasks that is easy to move around, but has a D shaped handle bar bolted on where the trigger release is that isn’t quite as flexible as the all foot pump controlled Euro carts. It also cost $350 and not $2000. It does not leak down but have only had it a year and a half at this point.

Just saying that you can play the lift table game for less money, but it requires some hunting and modification.
    Still waters run deep.

My new motorcycle lift uses compressed air so there is no fluid to be concerned with. It also has a series of mechanical locks at various heights to keep it at the height you want and its safe.

I still have two of the Northern hydraulic tables and i use plywood shims in the track to keep the height constant. Neither one of them leak fluid, probably because the plywood shims allow you to relieve the pressure from the cylinder.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-27-2022 at 10:53 AM.

Blog Entries
    I do not remember what I paid for the cart, but it was slightly more than the Felder FAT 300.

It is rock solid when the wheels are locked. It moves like a dream when they are not. The table does not lose height. It is a super solid example of German design and manufacturing.

Mike