Thread: cleaning segmented infeed rollers on a planer

cleaning segmented infeed rollers on a planer

My Powermatic planer has a segmented infeed roller. All I can find online is how to clean a rubber covered roller. It has some pitch and what not embedded into the teeth. I assume a wire brush and maybe solvent if needed? Same as the outfeed just make sure to do some brushing axially?
    Bill D

my past machines were solid roller but have one now that is sectional.

Id look at what is used to spring the rollers. Some have springs and some had vulcanized Rubber. If so id use a bit of care on those with chemicals. Always just used wire brushes and some lac reducer if needed if there was pitch from certain woods. You can put the lacquer reducer in one of the small plant spray bottles and you can also spray your wire brush more instead of the roller and still get the reducer there. Work on the lower side of the roller and reducer should drip down away. Have some ventilation, find im more annoyed by the reducer smell than past.

Blog Entries
    On my 15" the roller drops out with just one bolt on each side. Outfeed is the same. When I swapped to a rubber outfeed it was really easy.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Brass or steel wire brush in a dremel?