Thread: Estate Sale Find: Mystery Plane

Estate Sale Find: Mystery Plane

At an estate sale this morning, I found a wood plane that I can’t identify (I paid $5.00 for it).
    Can anyone help?
    There is no maker’s name, but a “39” stamped on the back end and a “Made in Germany” on the front.
    The iron is 39mm or about 1 9/16” wide.
    I can find nothing stamped on the iron.
    Other than a few insignificant nicks, it appears to have never been used.

Any thoughts as to what this is?

MP_View1.jpgMP_View2.jpgMP_View3.jpg
    MP_View4.jpgMP_View5.jpgMP_View6.jpgMP_View7.jpg

I believe it’s an Ulmia/ECE clone, maybe made by Kunz.

Thanks Steven.
    After nosing around the internet I've found genuine Ulmia and ECE planes that are similar to this, so your reply sounds correct.
    However, I've found no one selling any clones like this, not even on eBay.

Honestly, I didn't buy this for my own use, but to save it from the scrap bin and perhaps resell it to finance something for my shop (a packet of sandpaper?).
    Does this thing have any real resale value?
    Luckily, I only paid 5 bucks for it.

Infinity Cutting Tools make German hobels. (planes)

Quote Originally Posted by James Spangler View Post
    Thanks Steven.
    Honestly, I didn't buy this for my own use, but to save it from the scrap bin and perhaps resell it to finance something for my shop (a packet of sandpaper?).
    Does this thing have any real resale value?
    Luckily, I only paid 5 bucks for it.
    I'd sharpen it up and test it. See how it feels. It looks "smoother size" so I'd see how fine a shaving it can pull. See how well the iron holds an edge. See how it feels in the hand. If all that checks out and it works well, I'll bet you can get between $30 and $50, even without a name brand on it. The comparable ECE looks like it goes for about $116 at Highland. Yours doesnt have the same sole as the ECE, but it may be just as functional.
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 06-26-2022 at 7:11 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

James I have a few of these planes from my friend’s father. They work well and are part of a small collection of wooden planes in my arsenal.
    The European planes like this are certainly not beyond your control because I’ve seen your restoration work.
    I’m not sure of resale value because most North American woodworkers prefer metal planes as you know. But they’re quite useful.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

I have the ECE version of this plane. I picked it up at a garage sale. The ergonomics are really nice and it's super comfortable to use. I've spent years trying to figure out what role it was expected to serve. From what I can tell ECE considers this a jack plane, but it's shorter than a typical jack and only a fraction longer than a #4. The mouth opening is generously sized as one would expect in a jack plane. The iron and chipbreaker seem of good quality, with both having the heft and precise finish of something you'd see from Ron Hock. I have the cutter ground as you would for a smoother but i've never been able to dial it back to make very fine cuts. To be fair I've not spend too much time learning the nuances of setting the cutting depth with a plane hammer. When I have some spare time I'll camber the iron and see how it works as a small Jack.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.