Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mobile Base For SawStop PCS

After building and using a couple of mobile bases recently, I'll never again have any mobile base with anything smaller than 4" wheels, easy to lock and unlock without bending over locks, and ball bearing swivels. 5" and 6" are not too big for heavy tools. The 4" ones are for light tools like a drill press. I'd put a cabinet saw on 5" wheels.

For a tablesaw, consider how you're going to mount an overhead dust arm.

I also have a SawStop PCS with a 36" inch fence. I opted for the industrial base on the theory that it would be easier to move my saw with that base, compared to the integrated base. I don't know if that is really the case, but I am happy with this base. However, one of the drawbacks to the SawStop bases is that they it do not provide support to the table legs when the saw is raised, resulting in the table legs drooping somewhat.

I purchased a BORA PM-3550 Super-Duty All-Swivel Mobile Base for my jointer. I was drawn to this base because all four wheels swivel, making it easier to maneuver in tight spaces. I like this base a lot.

Bora makes a version of this base with a table saw extension that provides support for the table legs: BORA PM-3795 All-Swivel Mobile Base with Table Saw Extension https://boratool.com/catalog/product.../category/232/ In this version of the mobile base, the support for the main saw body is connected to the support for the table legs. Perhaps you could build a cabinet that sits on or straddles this connector.
    Stan Figura

I stopped by a local steel fence & gate supplier that also sells basic steel supplies that are used in the commercial fencing business.
    Still scratching my head on this one But I believe they under charged me for some steel I just picked up, not that I'm complaining
    I got a 24' piece of 14ga. 1" X 3" for $78 & a 20' piece of 1/8" thick 2" X 2" angle iron for $36!
    Had to have them cut down to fit in my Trailblazer.
    IMG_8547.JPGIMG_8546.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    After building and using a couple of mobile bases recently, I'll never again have any mobile base with anything smaller than 4" wheels.
    I tend to agree with that! Also, my garage floor has several cracks in the concrete & the smaller wheels get hung-up easily.

The 4" ones are for light tools like a drill press.
    They make some medium duty 3" casters.
    I have a set of 3" locking/swiveling casters on my Kalamazoo 816 bandsaw.
    IMG_5384.JPGIMG_5393.JPG

There rated at 300lbs. ea.
    3in. Swivel Casters .jpg
    But the smaller 3" size on a 650lb. machine makes it hard to move. luckily, I don't have to move it that much.

I just picked-up some 4" swiveling casters locally that are rated at 450lbs ea. I think they'll work out ok for the SawStop.
    4in. Swivel Casters .jpg

For a tablesaw, consider how you're going to mount an overhead dust arm.
    I'm still trying to figure the whole dust collection system out right now. https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....tallation-Tips Eventually I plan to have some sort of wall mounted overhead arm/guard that can be pulled out & positioned after the saw is moved out.

Doug

After a few design changes & several other interruptions I finally got my mobile base for the SawStop made.
    IMG_8730.JPGIMG_8734.JPG

I'm still planning on making some sort of cabinet/drawers for the right-hand side, but seeing I also plan to add a router-lift to the wing I'm waiting until I get that in place first.

Being that the saw will be stored up against the wall, I also wanted a way to lock the base in-place without having to crawl under the saw to lock the rear legs. What I came up with is front & rear retractable levelers that are operated from the front.

The front & back leveling feet pivot together on a shaft that's connected to a linkage set-up operated by a De-Sta-Co clamp.
    Here's a picture of the underside of the base showing the connecting shaft.
    IMG_8712.JPG

And here's a few more pics of the De-Sta-Co clamp linkage set-up.
    IMG_8716.JPGIMG_8723.JPGIMG_8727.JPGIMG_8720 (1).JPG

Doug

That looks "very sturdy", Doug!! Bravo!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Nice design, should work well.

Freaking awesome man. Really nice fabrication and looks very well thought out.

Thanks for everyone's comments!

So far, it's working really well.
    I can flip & lock the De-Sta-Co clamp lever with my foot.

Once I finish adding a router/lift to the wing an outfeed table & several drawers under the wing, I'm sure it will weigh quite a bit more.

Doug