Thread: Exhausted hand tool worker

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hutchings View Post
    I'm building a simple table / bench for my recently acquired RAS. I made the legs out of 4x4s I had laying around and squared up 2 sides with my hand planes and finished on the table saw. I did the same to an old 2x4 I had. What a freakin workout!! I did enjoy it, for a while, then I was wishing I had my electric planer that my SIL borrowed or maybe it's time to buy a jointer. I have a 19x38 drum sander so as long as I get close, I can finish on that.

Now I'm on to the mortises and I'm not going to chop 8 mortises so I set up the router. I don't have a plunge router strong enough so I'm using my 1 3/4 HP Porter Cable router in a Bench-dog table. I thought about using spacers to act like the steps on a plunge router but I don't have any material flat enough, may have to make them. I'll need enough 1/8" pieces to stack up to 1 1/4". Is there a better way?
    You are such a WIMP, Richard!

I am kidding, you do know. My posts and builds have for a few decades included and demonstrated the use of hand tools. Many likely associate my woodworking as that of a hand tool fanatic. But I have always stated that machines are equally important. I did my time with just one machine, a tablesaw, and am still perfectly capable of dimensioning rough timber into perfect boards using hand planes and hand saws. If you read too many fori posts you get the impression that only real men use hand tools - there are so many posers who do not actually build anything.

I own all the major machines, and use them for all the rough preparation. Hand tools are used for making and fine tuning joinery - because I enjoy doing it this way (however, not when there are a dozen mortices. Then I prefer a router). And used for finishing surfaces - because I enjoy doing it this way, plus the finish is far superior to sanding (but I do have and use sanders). As an amateur, the journey is something to enjoy, and I try to do so. But this is only make possible if machines take care of the grunt work.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 06-24-2022 at 9:12 PM.