Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metric tape measures

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Okonieski View Post
    I bought a certified one similar to Derek’s recommendation and am very happy with it. It has held up well so far.

https://www.mcmaster.com/tape-measur...tape-measures/
    It needs to be explained WHY this Starrett tape measure is preferred by myself and Ralph. I will mention that one I showed is NOS. I had to hunt around for this particular model (and bought two). They appear out of production, and so the one that Ralph links to is gratefully acknowledged.

The obvious point is that the tape is accurate, and that the metal tab has remained reliable. No tape, no matter how good, is worth anything if it is not accurate to begin, and then cannot hold this over time.

But this particular model has an adjustment and lock mechanism which I particularly like. It is smooth and effortless compared with all others. It is ergonomic - the button is in an ideal position. It takes little force to engage.

Of the other two I showed, the 3m BMI has a flat blade, and may be used as a ruler (there is also a 2m version). The Festool (by BMI) is just a compact 3m tape measure, which is accurate and adjusts smoothly, and will fit in a pocket.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I like the small Hultafors tape that Alan posted. The body has a scribe for making quick and easy knife marks. It also has the retractable inside measuring device that eliminates guesswork.

For construction work I use Stanley Fat Max 10m tapes but I am always looking for something better.

Blog Entries
    And Myanmar.

I use the Fastcap Flatback metric reverse one. Really like the flatback tape measures. Never had issues with them not lasting.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I'll second the Fastcap Flatback. When I made my switch from Imperial to Metric, I bought a couple of this brand, one a regular type tape and the other the Flatback, both Metric.

The Flatback is used for most of my measuring when I can lay the tape on the wood.

They've been my go to for several years now, no sign of wear, and my projects seem to fix together pretty good.

I actually just ordered the Fastcap dual scale tape which will be very convenient to have. Although I've converted most of my work to metric in practice, the dual scale on measuring tools is helpful as my mine is still in transition to "relative" parity between metric and inches. Easy in short dimensions, but still simmering on longer ones. I had plenty of Amazon points, so it was "free".
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I'll second the Fastcap Flatback. When I made my switch from Imperial to Metric, I bought a couple of this brand, one a regular type tape and the other the Flatback, both Metric.

The Flatback is used for most of my measuring when I can lay the tape on the wood.

They've been my go to for several years now, no sign of wear, and my projects seem to fix together pretty good.
    I will third the FastCap tape measures. I own many of them.

They have both the standard and the flatback as well as different lengths.

For example, this is a Flatback for under $14
    https://www.amazon.com/PMMR-FLAT16-F.../dp/B000GFJ4K6

This is a good place to start. Oh, and most of mine are not the Flatback but I own both. You can also order directly from their web site:

https://www.fastcap.com/product/proc...r-tape-measure

I bought most of mine from WoodCraft where I could handle them and choose what I wanted.