Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Okonieski View Post
I bought a certified one similar to Derek’s recommendation and am very happy with it. It has held up well so far.

https://www.mcmaster.com/tape-measur...tape-measures/
It needs to be explained WHY this Starrett tape measure is preferred by myself and Ralph. I will mention that one I showed is NOS. I had to hunt around for this particular model (and bought two). They appear out of production, and so the one that Ralph links to is gratefully acknowledged.

The obvious point is that the tape is accurate, and that the metal tab has remained reliable. No tape, no matter how good, is worth anything if it is not accurate to begin, and then cannot hold this over time.

But this particular model has an adjustment and lock mechanism which I particularly like. It is smooth and effortless compared with all others. It is ergonomic - the button is in an ideal position. It takes little force to engage.

Of the other two I showed, the 3m BMI has a flat blade, and may be used as a ruler (there is also a 2m version). The Festool (by BMI) is just a compact 3m tape measure, which is accurate and adjusts smoothly, and will fit in a pocket.

Regards from Perth

Derek