Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Thread: Metric tape measures

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Whidbey Island, WA
    Posts
    185

    Metric tape measures

    What do you all use for shop-use metric tape measures? I've tried many tape measures, but can't find a 3m or 3.5m that holds up. For $20 I've got a Stanley Powerlock Classic 3m on the way. Will see how it does. On a kitchen cabinet job a metric tape gets pulled maybe 1000x. Fastcap tapes don't last long at all, Starret tapes are a joke, USA-made TAP Plastics tapes read <.5mm off. Since my favorite imperial tapes are Stanley Powerlock classics, I thought I'd pay the absurd price for the metric guy. I like 3-3.5m or 12' for shop work, it's just the right size. Shame Stanley doesn't sell the 3m or 3.5m in the US.
    Timberlight Designs

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    E TN, near Knoxville
    Posts
    11,844
    A quick look on Amazon shows a small 3m (dual scale) Stanley.
    https://smile.amazon.com/Stanley-699.../dp/B0009VX1ZQ I didn’t read the reviews. I have some dual scale measuring tapes but I don’t remember how long they are.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Jung View Post
    What do you all use for shop-use metric tape measures? I've tried many tape measures, but can't find a 3m or 3.5m that holds up. For $20 I've got a Stanley Powerlock Classic 3m on the way. Will see how it does. On a kitchen cabinet job a metric tape gets pulled maybe 1000x. Fastcap tapes don't last long at all, Starret tapes are a joke, USA-made TAP Plastics tapes read <.5mm off. Since my favorite imperial tapes are Stanley Powerlock classics, I thought I'd pay the absurd price for the metric guy. I like 3-3.5m or 12' for shop work, it's just the right size. Shame Stanley doesn't sell the 3m or 3.5m in the US.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Posts
    7,075
    Blog Entries
    7
    I don’t use metric really but I’m certain the manufacturers I like make metric tapes. Tajima is my current favorite for sturdy tapes and for a more delicate lightweight tape I use BMI.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Minot, ND
    Posts
    512
    Plus one on Tajima. I used to use Stanley Fat Max’s, (purchased from the UK), but have switched to the Tajima line since getting them.

    Clint

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    8,476
    I like these ...



    Also 3m BMI and Festool (made by BMI) ...



    Or, go for one in pewter (made by Carol Boyse) ...



    Regards from Perth

    Derek

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    SE PA - Central Bucks County
    Posts
    61,342
    I currently have one from Lee Valley (I mostly work in metric in the shop) for when my steel rules are not long enough. I've had zero issues with the Lee Valley unit.
    --

    The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Modesto, CA, USA
    Posts
    7,591
    I asked and Harbor Freight where everything is made outside the only Inch country in the world has no metric measuring tapes. Most of their metal measuring scales have metric and English ,but no tapes at all.
    I like Starrett tapes, not expensive.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-24-2022 at 8:24 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Okotoks AB
    Posts
    3,401
    Blog Entries
    1
    I've had a couple from Lee Valley for a few years and both are very good. One has a white flat surface for jotting down measurements (I wish all tapes had that) and a rubber covering. The only thing I don't like is that it's half metric, half imperial. I'm just not a half & half guy. The other is all metric, but no rubber, so it might not survive as hard a drop.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Okotoks AB
    Posts
    3,401
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post

    Or, go for one in pewter (made by Carol Boyse) ...



    Regards from Perth

    Derek
    That one makes me smile.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    L.A. (Lower Alabama)
    Posts
    229
    I have a few but my favorite by far is this one. It gets a lot of use on my CNC Router work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Central North Carolina
    Posts
    1,820
    I have several combination English/Metric tapes by Stanley, and one by Klein Tools (I think rebranded Stanley) that I have had for years with no problems at all, other than loosing them occasionally, to be found much later. All are working fine and many are 10 or more years old.

    Charley

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Wayland, MA
    Posts
    3,061
    Very happy with the Tajima metric tapes. Expensive but accurate and easy to read,and are holding up very well for me

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Toronto Ontario
    Posts
    10,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I currently have one from Lee Valley (I mostly work in metric in the shop) for when my steel rules are not long enough. I've had zero issues with the Lee Valley unit.
    I have a couple of Lee Valley tapes and a couple of Felder tapes, both are good….Regards, Rod

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    550
    I bought a certified one similar to Derek’s recommendation and am very happy with it. It has held up well so far.

    https://www.mcmaster.com/tape-measur...tape-measures/

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    I asked and Harbor Freight where eveything is made outside the only Inch country in the world has no metric measuring tapes. Most of their metal measuring scales have metric and English ,but no tapes at all.
    I like Starrett tapes, not expensive.
    Bill D

    My recollection is that Liberia also uses the imperial system.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •