Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phones??

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Last winter went thru this same set up. Verizon wanted over $100 for a flip phone. Went to Target, and bought a Tracphone for $20. and a 30 day air time card for $20. Unlimited talk and 5 GB of data, which I never use. Ironically Verizon now owns Tracphone, so I'm using same network, and saving almost $20 per month over Verizon's price. Total savings over first year will be around $340 over Verizon.
    Wow. That is great.
    John T.

OK another question. With these smart phones they are larger so how is everyone carrying them. I do not believe the back pocket thing works because I can foresee a ripped seat or broken glass. front pockets are out. I need to be able to move freely without those obstructions. Thinking some sort of holster to clip to belt. That is how I carry my flip phone now but it is alot smaller and hardly notice it. I know kids walk around with theirs in their hands at all times because they live on them. Sad world we live in.
    John T.

Watch out for free upgrades. We had to go to 4g and Verizon offered to give us free phones that would work. They were free because we were long time customers.
    Problem was if you took the "free" phones you were locked into a two year contract with extra umlimited data etc that would cost over $40 a month extra for two phones, forever. No way to drop back to the old plan.
    Bill D

I use an Otterbox Defender cell phone case on mine and it comes with a belt clip that you can just snap the phone in and out of.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    OK another question. With these smart phones they are larger so how is everyone carrying them. I do not believe the back pocket thing works because I can foresee a ripped seat or broken glass. front pockets are out. I need to be able to move freely without those obstructions. Thinking some sort of holster to clip to belt. That is how I carry my flip phone now but it is alot smaller and hardly notice it. I know kids walk around with theirs in their hands at all times because they live on them. Sad world we live in.
    John, for many years, I've used a horizontal holster on my belt for my phone. It keeps the phone handy and also provides a lot more protection than any "pocket" is capable of. As a result, I only use a thin case on the actual phone, too. Personally, I can't stand bulky phone cases. I happen to use Nite Ize holsters which come in several sizes so they can fit the variety of smartphone sizes. The iPhone 13 Plus requires the XL as did the previous two iPhones I've owned which were also "max" sized.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That was one reason I bought a Nokia 7.1, It has about a 5 3/4" screen, about 6" X 2 7/8" overall. I find it okay in a front pocket. It's difficult to find something that small anymore. The other good thing about this phone is having Zeiss optics, the camera is great especially for close work. I don't think new model Nokias come with Zeiss cameras which is a shame. Nokia mostly has Android One which guarantees 3 years security updates and 2 years system updates from the time of release not from the time you activate the phone. So buy a model that's been on the market for a while and you don't really get 3 years/2 years. It seems like Google is making an effort to keep Android phones supported with security updates for longer than a couple years. The manufacturers of course think we should be a new phone frequently. I don't get excited about new features, I do like security flaws patched ASAP.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 06-25-2022 at 10:59 AM.

Blog Entries
    I mostly carry mine in a shirt pocket. Otherwise in my front pants/jeans pocket. Bending, sitting and maneuvering is not affected at all. The S22 Ultra is a BIG phone, but it fits in all my shirt pockets, but I have some shirts without pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Watch out for free upgrades. We had to go to 4g and Verizon offered to give us free phones that would work. They were free because we were long time customers.
    Problem was if you took the "free" phones you were locked into a two year contract with extra umlimited data etc that would cost over $40 a month extra for two phones, forever. No way to drop back to the old plan.
    Bill D
    That's the opposite of our experience with Verizon. Last December we decided to check out US Cellular because they were advertising they were such a great deal. They weren't! So we did nothing. Our Verizon plan was limited to 10 Gig per month though and we seemed to be bumping that these days. After the 1st of the year I was by the Verizon store and went in just out of curiosity. Surprise surprise! Lowered our bill to just over $100 per month for unlimited data and a new Iphone 13 Max for the wife. It would be even less but we opted for the insurance on her phone for now. They had a big credit on it so we paid the difference on it and she has a new phone. So our bill dropped over $20 per month and gained unlimited data. They had a promotion for "long term customers" that gave a great deal. I don't require a 2 year contract but even if there were that isn't an issue for us. I kept my Pixel 4XL and will probably replace it when the 7 comes out this fall. For me a holster and Otterbox Defender are the way to go for protecting the phone.Some don't like the added bulk but it's an excellent form of protection.

The more I read here the more questions I come up with. First as I said back pocket will not work. The front pocket thing brings up the theory about radiation around the male organs. at one time the big concern with cell phones was brain cancer being so close to ear when used. Is this theory still in play?? I wear jeans alot so front pocket won't work either. They should make pants with side pockets. I do not wear cargo pants. All these decisions for a phone.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    John, for many years, I've used a horizontal holster on my belt for my phone. It keeps the phone handy and also provides a lot more protection than any "pocket" is capable of. As a result, I only use a thin case on the actual phone, too. Personally, I can't stand bulky phone cases. I happen to use Nite Ize holsters which come in several sizes so they can fit the variety of smartphone sizes. The iPhone 13 Plus requires the XL as did the previous two iPhones I've owned which were also "max" sized.
    Jim your approach seems resonable. Do you have links to both phone and holster. Are there pros and cons with this system that you found. I am looking for something sleek and not bulky that it stands out like a fanny pack. I maybe a Dork but not that Dorky.
    John T.

These are the shorts I live in for all the hot months-just slightly more than running shorts with pockets.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MK64RPK...v_ov_lig_dp_it

An iphone 11 pro Max (the big model) in Otterbox Defender cover fits perfectly in the right pocket. I take very few phone calls, even having it set not to ring unless the number is in my contacts list, but use it for many other things, like placing an Amazon order while standing on a scaffold plank up in the air.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 06-25-2022 at 12:57 PM.

Looks like I am going to have to step up and get a new cell phone according to my carrier. The flip phone I have will no longer be supported. First my computer and now my cell phone. The Geeks are trying to convert me.
    I recently went through the same ordeal with my old flip phone!

I'm not one to be glued to a cell phone like some people seem to be, but I figured it was finally time to get my first smart phone!
    I ended up getting a Motorola One 5G Ace and it's been an on-going battle trying to figure everything out!

Eventually I'll probably get use-to-it! But talk about trying to teach an old dog a new trick!
    These smart phones are like mini laptops that can also make phone calls.

I'm also trying to figure out how to carry one around, most of the time I just leave it in the center console of my car.

Doug

John, here is a link to a smartphone case. https://www.amazon.com/OtterBox-Defe...less&sr=1-3The clip on the holster rotates IIRC so you can carry the phone horizontally or vertically and the phone easily snaps into or out of the holster. The case remains on the phone to help protect it from damage should it be dropped. It comes with a clear screen protector too, IIRC. I have had 3 different cell phones and have an Otter Box Defender case for each one. Well worth the expense, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-25-2022 at 2:16 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

OK another question. With these smart phones they are larger so how is everyone carrying them. I do not believe the back pocket thing works because I can foresee a ripped seat or broken glass. front pockets are out. I need to be able to move freely without those obstructions. Thinking some sort of holster to clip to belt.
    I've got the smallest smartphone Samsung makes (A01). With a thin silicone case, it fits front pocket of my jeans with no problem, standing, seated, in the car, no issues. Did the holster/belt-clip thing a couple phones ago, but it was always interfering with the seatbelt if I tried to wear it in the car.

It's getting harder to find small Android phones, but worst case, iPhone always seems to have one small-screen model.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Jim your approach seems resonable. Do you have links to both phone and holster. Are there pros and cons with this system that you found. I am looking for something sleek and not bulky that it stands out like a fanny pack. I maybe a Dork but not that Dorky.
    Here's the holster I use for my "extra large" iPhone 13 Pro Max...other sizes are available if you choose a smaller phone.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This setup has worked for me for many years. As they wear over time, I get a new one for "good clothes" and pass the worn one down to "shop and working around the house" duty. I always have two, in other words. I literally ordered a new one last night as the velcro closure on my "shop and working around the house" holster is getting long in the tooth. I get about a year and a half to two years between purchases and for about $14 I don't cry about it, either. Sherwin Williams paint stores have the XL on sale right now for $12, but I just buy from Amazon for convenience.

You can view iPhones at Apple.com.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...