Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cell Phones??

Cell Phones??

Looks like I am going to have to step up and get a new cell phone according to my carrier. The flip phone I have will no longer be supported. First my computer and now my cell phone. The Geeks are trying to convert me. Was looking at options and was wondering if anyone has this flip phone and if so looking for comments and how large is it? Galaxy Z Flip3 5G. Probably will have to get a holster to carry on the hip. Hate things in pockets. Probably will have to get wifi also.

I am not one of these people who walk around with their phone in their hands all day long. Very seldom use it unless for appointments and family calls. Always give that number out if I need to get call. All others go through house phone where I screen and answer when I feel like it.

Would like to hear any other suggestions and whys. Thanks in advance.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    Looks like I am going to have to step up and get a new cell phone according to my carrier. The flip phone I have will no longer be supported. First my computer and now my cell phone. The Geeks are trying to convert me. Was looking at options and was wondering if anyone has this flip phone and if so looking for comments and how large is it? Galaxy Z Flip3 5G. Probably will have to get a holster to carry on the hip. Hate things in pockets. Probably will have to get wifi also.

I am not one of these people who walk around with their phone in their hands all day long. Very seldom use it unless for appointments and family calls. Always give that number out if I need to get call. All others go through house phone where I screen and answer when I feel like it.

Last winter went thru this same set up. Verizon wanted over $100 for a flip phone. Went to Target, and bought a Tracphone for $20. and a 30 day air time card for $20. Unlimited talk and 5 GB of data, which I never use. Ironically Verizon now owns Tracphone, so I'm using same network, and saving almost $20 per month over Verizon's price. Total savings over first year will be around $340 over Verizon.

Blog Entries
    [FONT="]Looks like I am going to have to step up and get a new cell phone according to my carrier. The flip phone I have will no longer be supported. First my computer and now my cell phone. The Geeks are trying to convert me. Was looking at options and was wondering if anyone has this flip phone and if so looking for comments and how large is it? Galaxy Z Flip3 5G. Probably will have to get a holster to carry on the hip. Hate things in pockets. Probably will have to get wifi also.[/FONT]

[FONT="]I am not one of these people who walk around with their phone in their hands all day long. Very seldom use it unless for appointments and family calls. Always give that number out if I need to get call. All others go through house phone where I screen and answer when I feel like it.[/FONT]

[FONT="]Would like to hear any other suggestions and whys. Thanks in advance.[/FONT]
    Here is a link to the specifications for a Galaxy Z Flip2 5Gb

I casually looked at one a while back at the AT&T store and wondered how long before the folding screen fails.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 06-23-2022 at 10:13 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Never had one but if i join the club ill go for a Smart Phone. Maxwell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eik96tIjAg

I have been a smart phone user since they came out. That said I don't need (or want) the latest greatest smart phone so I have bought all of my phones used for the past decade. I have purchased 6 used phones through https://swappa.com/buy/phones and only had one problem where a seller sent me a blacklisted smart phone. I had a full refund from swappa the very next day about a half hour after I put the pre-paid postage package in the mail.

All of my family now buys their phones through https://swappa.com/buy/phones and so do many friends. If you can handle being a generation or two behind the bleeding edge you can save a huge amount of money. All of the phones are rated for condition. I always buy very good or mint condition and every phone I have received has looked brand new when I received it.

It is great there are so many options and everyone can get one to fit their needs.

I do have a 1 year old Samsung Galaxy21. It has a fantastic camera that I use a lot. I also use it for reading with the Kindle app. And I listen to audio books with it. It has a great calculator, magnify app, flash light and many others. My wife requires that I carry it when out back for emergency use. I do have a good WiFi that reaches my garage, shop and parts of the yard.

I have also used it for YouTube videos on how to fix things.

I use it for messaging the kids to keep in touch and messages from doctor offices. I wanted the best tool to use.

I am not looking for the lowest cost but the best tool.

It's possible to find classic flip phones that work on current generation phone networks. There aren't a lot and I can't attest to their quality but they do exist. I couldn't get by with a flip phone, I use google maps and text a fair bit. For many people who don't wish to make a statement about fashion or affluence a flip phone is really all they need.

My wife has long been a cell phone user like you - used the phone rarely, mainly used our land line for calls, and didn't keep the cell phone with her except when she figured she might need it. She had a pre-paid plan from Verizon for a few hundred minutes a year, and never used the whole thing. Well, Verizon dropped that plan, and told her she had to get a 5G phone. I found her a refurbished Google Pixel smartphone, and she signed up for a limited plan from US Mobile that costs about $12/month. A year later, she loves the smart phone. Still doesn't use the phone per se much, as she isn't a big phone talker. But she texts to organize things with the kids and neighbors, uses it to listen to podcasts, which she loves, to audible books, and has a calculator app she uses a lot (she's a weaver, so does a lot of figuring). Eventually, she started using it for most of her phone calls (which are almost all to kids or siblings). Last week, we dropped our land line after 44 years of the same number, because it was never used, and rang all the time with junk calls.

Since I retired, I'm mostly like her. I hardly use my phone as a phone (15 total minutes last month), but it's my calculator, podcaster device, audio book device, how I do my banking, look things up I need to know in the shop, and using Google calendar, keep track of commitments and appointments.

So, my suggestion - get a refurbed smart phone from one generation or so back. It'll work as you need it for a cell phone, but you may well find its other capabilities worth having it around.

That Samsung flip phone is a smartphone and not cheap. You can still get a traditional flip phone that just makes calls if that is all you need.

Blog Entries
    I got a Galaxy S22 Ultra a couple of months ago and like it a lot. That big screen is wonderful, yet still fits nicely in my hand and pockets. I have to have a smart phone because I use it so much for work accessing technical documents, blue prints etc as well as running software.

Verizon sent me a new phone, free, just to replace my old 3g phone. Pretty cool. Don't know what it is, haven't opened it yet, it's going back... I haven't used Verizon for nearly 4 years...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Verizon sent me a new phone, free, just to replace my old 3g phone. Pretty cool. Don't know what it is, haven't opened it yet, it's going back... I haven't used Verizon for nearly 4 years...
    Maybe you could send it to the OP

Blog Entries
    I'll add that another thing the less expensive phones won't do is give me high res, high quality pics taken in dark nooks and crannies of buildings and machinery.

We got new phones about 3 months ago as our old phones only did 3G and it's not being supported everywhere much longer. We ended up buying a couple Samsung S-21's that use 4G LTE which is supposed to be supported for another 10 years at least. I'll soon be 73. If I live another 10 years, I doubt I'll still be using a cell phone. My wife changed from an S-10 and I changed from an S-5. The S-21 was, indeed, a step up in camera, overall speed and functionality! It was certainly cheaper than the current Samsung S-22!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

We both have iPhone 11’s, and no longer have a home phone.

I have a case for the phone that has a cover that closes over the front to protect the screen, it also has slots for cards, I keep my business cards in there…..Regards, Rod