Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 240v remote controls

240v remote controls

I'm looking for a minimum 30A remote control for my BlackBox Hurricane vacuum. This is located in a separate bay and provides vacuum to hold the material down to the spoil board on my cnc.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Have you considered a 240v contactor switch actuated by 120v with a 120v remote?

Blog Entries
    I salvaged a 30 amp 240 volt relay off of an air conditioner condensing unit for my dust collector. It is controlled by 24 volts. The 24 volt circuit turns on and off with a pull chain switch. I have a daisy chain of string to pull the chain from several locations. It is sort of goofy. Eventually each blast gate will have a switch.

IMG_0591.jpg IMG_0592.jpg
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 06-23-2022 at 4:21 PM.
    Best Regards, Maurice

The best way to go is to "roll your own" using an appropriately rated contactor on the 240v side for amperage and either 120v or low voltage on the control side so you can remotely switch it however you want to. (The same technique applies to larger DCs that don't already have a contactor based remote control system integral)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

here is a premade option from ivac - https://www.ivacswitch.com/ivac-contactor/

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Not really appropriate for switching a large motor. Might last a few times but not intended to control a 30A motor.

I use the Ivac contactor for my dust collector. It is excellent. A contactor is the best solution IMHO and not very expensive in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Funk View Post
    Not really appropriate for switching a large motor. Might last a few times but not intended to control a 30A motor.
    Do you have one, or which one did you recommend? The OP asked for a 30A and that one is rated at 30A.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 06-24-2022 at 9:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Do you have one, or which one did you recommend? The OP asked for a 30A and that one is rated at 30A.
    It's rated at 30A for a resistive load but a maximum 1HP motor. A normal motor will typically take 5-10x its rated current while starting, so contactors designed to handle motors are considerably more robust than the equivalent contactor for a resistive load. The Ivac switch mentioned above looks reasonable.

3HP contactors from Schneider, WEG, Franklin or other name brand electrical suppliers are also options but they are generally more expensive.

I use the iVac contactor (same as the one mentioned by Ralph) on my 5hp Clearvue dust collector. It works very well.

I have the PSI LR2244 but it doesn’t appear to be available anywhere. Like others have said your best bet would be to use a 120v remote controlled switch to turn on a electrically held contactor. You can get a 30 amp definite purpose contactor for around $30 on Amazon.

You can reference this thread:
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ghlight=remote

I made a remote setup so I could use any 110V lamp remote control to power my dust collector. Pretty east and it's been in regular use since I made it and installed it in 2004. So I'd say that the $65 I spent to build it and set it up, was money well spent.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Okonieski View Post
    I use the Ivac contactor for my dust collector. It is excellent. A contactor is the best solution IMHO and not very expensive in the grand scheme of things.
    I am looking into this option for my Oneida 5HP Smart Dust Collector. The factory supplied remote system on these units is not robust or reliable. I am on my 3rd remote transmitter/fob set in 6 months, all supplied by Oneida under warranty. My question is whether the ivac contactor solution can be installed DIY, or if I will need an electrician? All I am looking for is a robust, reliable way to start and stop my DC remotely. I open and close all blast gates manually, so not looking for ivac's automated blast gate system. Thank you for your help!

I used a 120volt christmas tree remote and a 2pole contactor with 120 volt coil for my dust collector. Works great