Thread: California Air Compressor Remote Switching

California Air Compressor Remote Switching

The manual says only use the on/off switch on the compressor to regulate it. Of course I wanted to save a few steps so I installed a remote. It worked fine until one day it didn't. I had to turn the compressor switch off and then back on to get it to work. Does anyone know why the remote is not recommended and shouldn't be used? I don't understand electricity.

Too much starting current for the remote?

Proabably burnt the contacts in the remote relay. Since you don't mention model number or hp of the compressor, nor amp rating of the relay, we can only guess.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 06-23-2022 at 2:46 PM.

I believe Myk hit the nail on the head. I tried to cheap-out and got some generic remote from the local big box store. Fried it on the first try. I went to the nearest Woodcraft and got one of the red remotes (can't remember the brand name) and smooth sailing since. There are made in 110 and 240 volt versions.

It is common on compressors to include a compression release valve actuator as part of the on/off lever. This dramatically reduces the startup current.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cameron View Post
    It is common on compressors to include a compression release valve actuator as part of the on/off lever. This dramatically reduces the startup current.
    It's true that most compressors have an unloader valve to release the pressure between the pump and a check valve on the tank. But it's usually actuated by the pressure switch, not the on/off switch. That way it does its job on every cycle of the pump, not just the first time power is applied. So I don't think that's the reason the manufacturer states to only use the on/off switch.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--