Thread: Flubbed up on my sled

Flubbed up on my sled

So I'm resetting the rails of my generic 3/4" plywood table saw sled to fit the saw at work and I messed up the alignment on the first try. It's fixed now but my problem is I ran it past the running blade with it somewhat misaligned and now the kerf in my sled is about 2 blade widths wide. Instead of putting down a new thin floor and then recutting, I was wondering if there might be something I could just simply fill the gap with and then recut. That way I'd preserve all the height cutting potential the sled has that adding additional floor would take away from. So far I've thought of using either Bondo or regular wood filler. Whatever it is it'd need to withstand the blade cutting through it without chipping.

Any suggestions for a filler?
    Last edited by brad hays; 06-22-2022 at 7:48 PM.
    If the end of the world ever comes move to Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years later. ~ Mark Twain
    History began on July 4, 1776. Everything before that was a mistake. ~ Ron Swanson
    The economy of what you say lends more to it's meaning than the depth of it's exclamation.
    If you need a tool and don't get it, you paid for not having it and you still don't have it.

Blog Entries
    Make a filler out of maple that will fit in the wide kerf. Glue that filler in place and make your new cut once the glue cures completely.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

A lot of folks use bondo for this....let it harden and cut a new kerf.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Yep, Bondo works well.

John

Like Lee said but doesn't have to be maple, any scrap wood will work. I refurb zero clearance inserts that way and have done the same to my sled. Lot less mess than filling it with Bondo.

Thanks for the replies. I'll probably end up going with evening out my kerf and inserting some maple for a recut. Don't know why that didn't occur to me before. Another piece of advice I got was to use JB Weld 2 part epoxy. The advice came from someone who actually had the same problem and the epoxy worked for him. Apparently made a real nice recut.

In the end I'll fix this old sled, but I'll end up making a new one fairly soon. This old one deserves retirement as it doesn't have any options, not even hold down clamps.
    If the end of the world ever comes move to Kentucky, because everything there happens 20 years later. ~ Mark Twain
    History began on July 4, 1776. Everything before that was a mistake. ~ Ron Swanson
    The economy of what you say lends more to it's meaning than the depth of it's exclamation.
    If you need a tool and don't get it, you paid for not having it and you still don't have it.

One of these days I'm going to get around to trying out some machinable wax for stuff like this.

machinablewax
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...