Thread: Recent Work

Recent Work

Recently completed work. I’ve been experimenting with acrylic polymers. Interesting stuff, very different working characteristics as compared to exotic woods. A pair of 18 degree skew chisels, 3/8” wide, handles from brown pearl material, and a set of small dovetail chisels in blue pearl material.

E80D3148-D220-4D54-847C-08CBAF397FA6.jpeg
    F8637FB9-0B5B-44EA-927B-5BA274CC6758.jpeg

2E79CD3C-DD69-46EB-895E-547D26A89373.jpeg
    8BDD1E29-5C51-43B0-AE28-73767F33E13A.jpeg
    BFEA1C12-3E4F-4103-A2B2-BC2E1CAC6BE7.jpeg

Interesting Ron. Your work looks very good. Have you done any experiments concerning durability or strength with the polymers you are using? What do you find different in the working characteristics of your choice of material?
    Jim

James obviously my first concern was durability. When I first received the material I cut a piece and hit it from every angle with a mallet. Not only could I not damage it I couldn’t see any marks where I hit it.

When turning it requires more feed pressure than wood or even resin infused wood. I found that slower turning speed was beneficial and efficient dust collection was absolutely necessary lest you have a tangle of strands all over you, the lathe and the work.

it takes a lot of sanding steps to achieve a good polish, followed by a polishing compound and then buffing.

Ron

Blog Entries
    Very COOL Ron. I admire willingness to experiment with new materials- love the look.

Blog Entries
    My preference is for wood handles but those could possibly get me to change my mind.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim I was the same in regards to a preference for wood but viewing this material in person has swayed me a bit, but I’ve certainly not abandoned wood for this use. I’m just pursuing my whims a bit.

Ron

Ron, I honestly can't think of a better word than "pretty". Really, they look fantastic (especially the brownish). I hope you post about the durability once they've had a chance 'break-in'. Are you using traditional turning tools for this stuff or Carbide cutters?

John I’m using carbide to turn this material. I tried the negative rake cutters as well but frankly didn’t see much difference.
    Thanks for the kind words.

Ron