Thread: 3 wing raised panel shaper cutter

3 wing raised panel shaper cutter

How many passes should you take using a 3 hp shaper and a 3 wing raised panel cutter ? I see cutters being sold with a back cutter with them... this seems to imply a one pass cut. I have never been able to do a 1 pass cut. I usually have to take 3 at a minimum (red oak) but I was curious as to how many passes is actually recommended? 5 inch diameter , 3/4 bore , ogee panel cutter as an example

No reason why a back cutter implies one pass. It's no different than making a less than full depth pass without one. Multiple passes mean less material cut per pass.

To be honest, I do raised panels in 2 passes. I shape from the bottom, first pass about 1/8" short without the backcutter. The final cut I raise the cutter to the final height and put on the backcutter. I've done it this way for a long time and have had good results. This typically is making 3/4" panels. If you are doing some really thick panels, I'd consider using a dado blade and remove some excess from the back prior to the final cut.
    Hope that helps.

I guess since I've always raised the cutter up , in multiple passes, I should be moving the fence back ? Hard to do that when you are using a power feeder, have to keep readjusting both. Instead of just raising the blade.

I was just wondering how others did it and how many passes, and yes normally 3/4 .