Thread: Yager K-2000 Thickness Planer Value

Yager K-2000 Thickness Planer Value

Hi All,

I've been reading through and enjoying the forum for some time now and finally found something to post about.

I came across what appears to be a Yager K-2000 thickness planer in the local classifieds. The add doesn't include the model number but the pictures look almost identical to this (although it looks like someone painted the entire machine red at some point):

http://wiki.vintagemachinery.org/Yag...r%20parts.ashx

The one listed in the add appears to also include the power feeder.

I've started to develop a thing for these vintage machines and am considering at least taking a look and/or purchasing it. The add is asking $225 which seems way to high for something that's going to need a fair amount of work to get back to working order. I've paid around $50 for other vintage machines (Craftsman 6in jointer, Craftsman 6x48 belt sander, Craftsman 113 table saw, etc.) so I'm thinking the value here should be in the same ballpark.

Any reason(s) to definitely avoid this machine? If not, am I close in the valuation, or am I missing something that would make this worth the asking price? I'm not trying to low ball the seller, but I think they're very high right now.

Thanks in advance,

Josh

Seems a fair price if the motor is included. I see used plastic lunch box planers for similar prices. Price a set of three iron gears for the feeder. It is a simple machine but few were sold compared to saws or jointers. And they have a lot more precision surfaces and power train.
    I assume it is 12 inch machine. Is the one in the photo hand cranked feed? I have seen plans for hand crank feed into power sanders.
    Bill D

Bill,

Thanks for the feedback. A quick search on McMaster shows gears in that size range from $75 to $150 each (a rough guess based on the pictures), so I see what you mean about the power train complexity.

From what I've read this is a 10'' planer. One of my concerns is finding replacement parts if needed. I'm thinking I could likely use any knife that has the same profile and have the sharpening shop cut them proper length if needed.

The pictures in the link I shared show both the hand crank and power feed options. It appears that items 14 and 52 in the parts list are interchangeable. The planer in the add has the large pulley (52) and what appears to be a power feed system mounted below the table.

Josh

Good to know knives are at least available. I’ll have to see if I can arrange to take a look at the machine.

I owned one of these for a few years, my 2nd of 5 thickness planers I've owned. On mine the table wasn't parallel to the cutterhead,-- by a lot--about 1/16". I made a left side gauge and right side gauge to set the knives! (Shimming the side casting up stressed the bearings). It worked fairly well otherwise. I think it handled stock 11" wide. I upgraded to a Makita. But I have fond memories of my little Yager planer. No bed rolls, so keep the table slick with wax.

Al,

Do you happen to recall if you had the square cutter head with four knives or the round cutter head with three knives? I read that the really old ones have the square heads.

I'm just a hobbyist and like the process of getting the old machines back up and running. Seem like you enjoyed the Yager. Any reasons to skip it and just go straight to a more modern machine?

Thanks,

Josh

That looks like it has a manual feed crank? That's very unusual. I can't see any ball bearings in that breakdown picture, maybe all sleeve bearings? Machines that age usually had a slower cutter head speed and you won't get as smooth of cut as modern machines. Really surprised I don't see a pressure bar on a machine that age, and just looks like a chip deflector instead of a chip breaker. I would put the price around $200, and even then I would be reluctant.

Richard,

The one I'm looking at has the optional auto feeder, not sure I'd be interested in a hand crank feed. I think #8 in the breakdown picture are the cutter head ball bearings, just still in the box.

In theory, could the cutter head speed and/or feed rate be adjusted by swapping out drive pulleys? Maybe the machine's not designed for this though?

What's a pressure bar? I'm not familiar with the term.

Josh

You could run the cutterhead with a fixed speed motor and drive the feed with a vfd controlled motor.
    Bill D

Mine had a pretty standard, though small diameter, round 3 knife head. I think it was the exact machine shown in the OWWM posting you linked to. I have a vague memory I might have installed a jerry-rigged table lock to avoid the table rocking in a way that produced a tiny amount of snipe. I was making lots of end grain cutting board then, and used the planer to surface them.