Thread: Some good news on machinery prices

Some good news on machinery prices

Got an email from Grizzly this morning. Most machinery was reduced 10% as shipping container prices are starting to come down.

Some better buys out there now on heavy machinery. Maybe the market is starting to turn as supply chains are catching up.

https://www.grizzly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Robert London View Post
    Got an email from Grizzly this morning. Most machinery was reduced 10% as shipping container prices are starting to come down.

Some better buys out there now on heavy machinery. Maybe the market is starting to turn as supply chains are catching up.

https://www.grizzly.com/
    They would just about be the only company in America making that implication. Trucking from the warehouse to your house is absolutely not getting cheaper. When did Grizzly order that machinery? It's widely known that companies like Target and Walmart are finally getting shipments made far in the past and now their warehouses are full of off season supplies. Lots of sales going on in an attempt to adjust warehouse inventory.

I'm assuming they were talking about container shipping from the factories in Taiwan and China, where most everything comes from. Not the ground transportation to your house.

Lots of heavy machinery items on sale are not in stock, but OTW. It's probably a combination of several things. But sales and some deals are a good sign.

Good on Grizzly for passing the drops in costs on to their customers. My mindset has been that all these high prices were going to stick with the companies using cost reductions to rack up profits. With Grizzly adopting that perspective, maybe there's hope that other tool makers will feel the pressure to do the same.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

They might not have many options on what they do about their prices, and Grizzly customers are probably some of the most sensitive to prices. So recession/slow down coming or already here, and everybody stops buying, so Grizzly cuts costs. Nobody really _needs_ a brand new band saw, and if things go on long enough I'd expect some nice deals on Facebook market place/craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew More View Post
    They might not have many options on what they do about their prices, and Grizzly customers are probably some of the most sensitive to prices. So recession/slow down coming or already here, and everybody stops buying, so Grizzly cuts costs. Nobody really _needs_ a brand new band saw, and if things go on long enough I'd expect some nice deals on Facebook market place/craigslist.
    It’s hard to say for sure, but I casually look at FB and CL for machinery and small boats and I believe prices have slipped down on these items recently. I also see things being relisted more. Hard to quantify this stuff. Talking about Philadelphia area.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Good on Grizzly for passing the drops in costs on to their customers. My mindset has been that all these high prices were going to stick with the companies using cost reductions to rack up profits. With Grizzly adopting that perspective, maybe there's hope that other tool makers will feel the pressure to do the same.
    Higher prices don't equate to higher profits, but to lower sales volumes.

Not trying to make this political but I think companies are starting to assume a recession is coming. If so they will be wanting to reduce inventory to avoid getting caught with lots of tools they can't sell.

I see this SB planer is now $800 less expensive. Not on sale and just new everyday price. It was $5400.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/sou...terhead/sb1109

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    They would just about be the only company in America making that implication. Trucking from the warehouse to your house is absolutely not getting cheaper.

I was just about to order a Harvey T40 lathe, as they are on sale at an attractive price. But I wanted legs. So ... $300 to ship the lathe. I can live with that. But then another $200 SHIPPING on the legs (which are only $300 full price to start with), and further shipping if I add the extension bed. I bailed on the order in the end, because of the shipping.

Steve, did you speak with them on the phone? That's often a good idea with Harvey. The stacked shipping may be a web site thing and a whole order on a single pallet may cost less. Only one LTL setup that way. I called them after ordering my G700 after there was a better promotional price three days later and they gave me the $50 back lickety-split. Seem like nice folks once you get them on the phone.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Steve. I second Jim. I’d call Harvey. They didn’t charge additional shipping when I called and ordered a shaper with a sliding table accessories. As long as I let them ship together they only crated the standard amount for the shaper
    gary

I bought a table saw last year when I thought it's crazy how pricing was increasing from 2020 to 2021 hated paying what I thought was too much but I needed one. I just looked at same saw it's now 150 more & sipping went up 75 bucks ?
    For me I only buy when I need a tool & get stuck with where ever the market is, kinda my MO buy high sell low