Thread: SCM S41 ES chip collection issue

SCM S41 ES chip collection issue

I have a new SCM S41ES thickness planer, and despite having a 5HP Pentz system, only this machine shows signs of poor dust collection. Many chips end up on the planer bed, and as subsequent pieces are milled, those chips end up on the floor. There are also chips that end up on the floor from the piece being milled.

I've ruled out blast gate issues, as I disconnected the 5" hose and confirmed that the air flow is really, really strong. I opened things up to have a look and don't see any obstructions around the DC port or sleeve.

Wondering how to resolve this scenario, perhaps someone else has experienced this.

Thanks,

Ned

This on the fast speed? Big planers that are running fast just spit chips a lot of the time.

Erik

Thanks, Erik

I don't know how many is "many", but I do have some chips on the floor or bed with mine. It totally overpowers a small dust collector, The "chips" were different than the DW735 that I replaced, they were long and stringy which meant they were more likely to jam in my smaller dust collector w/ trash can separator. I had to upgrade to a V-3000 3hp unit from Oneida, which works well (enough). I would expect your 5hp unit should keep up without any problems.

I use a big planer (straight knife) with a Clearvue and we sometimes have to change the 200 litre bins every 15 minutes. We can do it under one minute now and I am thinking of starting a competition to see who can do it in the shortest time.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Erik - just double-checked and my planer has only been used on the slow speed, so I'm even more underwhelmed with the chip collection on this unit.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Otter View Post
    Erik - just double-checked and my planer has only been used on the slow speed, so I'm even more underwhelmed with the chip collection on this unit.
    What type of dust extractor are you using?
    Chris

Chris,

I'm using a 5HP Pentz EF5. All other machines - even those beyond the length of the planer - have excellent chip/dust collection. I detached the hose to the planer to check the pressure and it's awesome, really strong. I've check the dust shround and port for blockage, and there isn't any.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Otter View Post
    I have a new SCM S41ES thickness planer, and despite having a 5HP Pentz system, only this machine shows signs of poor dust collection. Many chips end up on the planer bed, and as subsequent pieces are milled, those chips end up on the floor. There are also chips that end up on the floor from the piece being milled.

I've ruled out blast gate issues, as I disconnected the 5" hose and confirmed that the air flow is really, really strong. I opened things up to have a look and don't see any obstructions around the DC port or sleeve.

Wondering how to resolve this scenario, perhaps someone else has experienced this.

Thanks,

Ned
    The type of DE is always my first question and you definitely have enough capacity to do the job and unfortunately manufacturers seem to regard dust extraction as second in importance to everything else. We see a lot of this when advising on DE and a lot of bad system design as well. I am in the middle of trying to persuade a woodworking club that the thousands they spent on a system designed by professionals was totally wasted. Machine manufacturers and their representatives would never admit to bad design and their advise in most aspects of DE is usually poor as well.
    Chris

went from a cabinet saw to a small slider probably 30 years old. One day saw sawdust on the floor up to six feet from the saw. Forgot I had unhooked the 5" pipe at the back of the saw. It was so well designed inside that it was firing the dust out the back with no dust collection hooked up. The cabinet saws compared were useless. Clear someone was thinking when they designed that SCM saw.

Pro shops often had guys who made custom stuff and modified machines to work better and faster. This is an example of that. Doubled the capacity, automatic blast gate, floor sweep by the machine which was side to side with the main jointer.

P1120061A.jpg

The thing is that it seems that most folks don't have this issue, so I really do suspect there is something interfering with the position of the hood or some other obstruction. As folks have mentioned (and I can backup with my own personal experience over the years with my own J/P) there will always be a little escaped material while milling, but the vast majority should be successfully evacuated by the DC if it's appropriately sized and the connection to the machine is also appropriately sized...typically a 120mm port on the machine feeding either a 5" or 6" hose and drop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    Machine manufacturers and their representatives would never admit to bad design...
    Chris, with all due respect, every EU manufacturer actually has to conform to and identify exact data as far as chip extraction, CFM needed, etc. Now, that being said, the design of dust extraction on jointer/planers is not the same as a dedicated jointer or planer. It is a concession but must be, by design. It’s been years since I ran an FS41ES but I don’t recall any unusual level of chips flying everywhere. Like Jim said, it’s never a spotless operation but tegarding the OP’s complaint, I don’t think it’s the machine. I sold so many J/P’s over the years but never really heard this complaint.

To the OP, I somewhat remember a thin baffle on the FS41ES that changes position as you swith functions. Possible that thing is frozen or not articulating?

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Like Jim said, it’s never a spotless operation but tegarding the OP’s complaint, I don’t think it’s the machine. I sold so many J/P’s over the years but never really heard this complaint.

Erik
    I dont see an unusually high amount of chips from my Fs41es. Its by no means clean though. I think the expectation may be too high for collection.