Thread: Annoying spam

Blog Entries

Annoying spam

For the past week we've been receiving supposed emails from McAfee saying our subscription is about to expire. Sometimes we get two or three per day. Today we started getting the same bogus notices from Norton. You can block the emails because every one has slightly different sender email such as news@abc.aboutyou.com, where the abc is different on every email.

Obviously we don't click on the unsubscribe or other links since we have never used either virus protection service.

Is anyone else getting these emails?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I got some from Norton last year saying my subscription was about to expire. I checked my subscription status and still had about 245 days left.I called Norton to ask about it and they said it was bogus. I told them that, being an anti virus company, they should really do something about it. I haven't seen anymore so I don't know if it's starting to make the rounds again or not.

I was getting pop ups from Mcafee Norton and a couple other anti virus stating my subscription was up and to clik here to renew. I don't use any of those and had a time getting rid of them.

Got 2 of the McAfee ones last week, same day. I just shift-delete them along with all the other junk
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    I got some from Norton last year saying my subscription was about to expire. I checked my subscription status and still had about 245 days left.I called Norton to ask about it and they said it was bogus. I told them that, being an anti virus company, they should really do something about it. I haven't seen anymore so I don't know if it's starting to make the rounds again or not.
    It is pretty hard to stop someone from sending fake emails. They could go to court to stop them, but many are in countries where it would be difficult to stop them with the legal system.

The spam filtration system on my email provider's servers pretty much doesn't let that stuff through. They don't just go by email addresses...there are many other factors that go into spam quarantining.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My son was the International Director for Services for a company that many large corporations use for security. I was also an IT Project Manager for almost 30 years.
    Unfortunately, even clicking to open one of these emails sends a response to someone (or a group) advising that this is a "monitored email address".
    This puts that email on lists for sale to other spammers.
    The best action for these is to hover over the email address, which should show who it is actually sent from. However spammers are getting much more savvy and many times are able to spoof the address to appear valid.
    Any emails that are suspicious in any way are best deleted without opening.
    That is unless you enjoy the barrage of email attention.

Nigerian.jpg
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The spam filtration system on my email provider's servers pretty much doesn't let that stuff through. They don't just go by email addresses...there are many other factors that go into spam quarantining.
    Ditto for my main provider Comcast. I never see them. My secondary email, Gmail, has a very good spam filter that puts 99.9% of the spam directly into the spam folder.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    …, Gmail, has a very good spam filter that puts 99.9% of the spam directly into the spam folder.
    It’s a rare day that I see an unwanted email in Gmail on my computers. Sometimes I’ll notice one on the iPad that goes away after a bit, odd, maybe when Gmail syncs all the devices?

Another odd thing. When I look in my spam folder these days at least 95% of the emails are in the French language. I don’t speak French so they would all be wasting their bytes even if I opened the messages.

JKJ

Yea, gmail rarely lets anything through. The spam monitoring I mentioned is with my own domains that are hosted. The company provides Spampanel that has been remarkably effective in screening things out. Only rarely does something get through and more than half of those are identified as junk by Apple Mail. What's really eye opening is the "yuge" quantity of emails that get quarantined!
    --

The last couple weeks the McAfee spam has been abundant. Probably 15 or 20 per day. This is on my ISP email that I've had since 1994. They did an upgrade the other day so maybe that will help stop some of them. I mark them as spam every time but as was said they use a slightly different sender identity each time. I suppose if only one in 10,000 bites it was worth it to them. Ironically I have never used McAfee in my life. As several have said Gmail is extremely proficient at catching it. Very rarely does anything get through that shouldn't. I always figured that in many instances someone/someplace I signed up or ordered from got hacked and put my email out there. When I was still working my work email was only used for ordering from vendors or internal communications. Even then they managed to get the email and once in a while a spam email would come in.

Filtering by email address isn't all that effective these days because of email address randomization, etc. The better filtering systems also look at the content and other factors which are more telling. They do occasionally "catch" something that actually is legitimate, but that's why it's good to quickly review any quarantine report to mark those for whitelisting. These systems "learn" pretty well from that in most cases.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schoenthal View Post
    ...Unfortunately, even clicking to open one of these emails sends a response to someone (or a group) advising that this is a "monitored email address".
    This is one reason I still use POP email, I won't touch IMAP with an 11' pole. Might not be as convenient, but I'M the only one who knows when I open my mail...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Schoenthal View Post
    Unfortunately, even clicking to open one of these emails sends a response to someone (or a group) advising that this is a "monitored email address".
    All have been deleted without opening them......
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Yes, I've got a few, my wife has been getting 10 to 30 per day. You can easily detect these are fake by the font and grammar in the heading. Spam. mark spam
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others