Thread: Firefox

Firefox

For the past week or so, the Firefox browsers on all 4 of the computers I get online with regularly have been crashing several times a day. The common thread is, they don't crash while I'm online, it's when I go do something else for awhile, then come back; the browser is either frozen or has already reloaded itself with the 'we can't get your pages back' message. I could understand one computer, but all of them?

Just wondering if anyone else is going thru this?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

What version of FF is it? the current version is 101.0.1

Blog Entries
    Running 101.0.1 on 3 Win 10 Pro 21H2 machines. Ubuntu 22.04 as well. No issues.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    For the past week or so, the Firefox browsers on all 4 of the computers I get online with regularly have been crashing several times a day. The common thread is, they don't crash while I'm online, it's when I go do something else for awhile, then come back; the browser is either frozen or has already reloaded itself with the 'we can't get your pages back' message. I could understand one computer, but all of them?

Just wondering if anyone else is going thru this?
    Haven't seen that and don't know the answer. Plenty of memory in the machines? Might hit ctrl-shift-esc (Win10) to open the Task Manager and look at the memory Firefox is using on the Performance tab. Firefox always seems to have slow memory leaks - on my computers if the memory usage gets too high it starts acting wonky. I close Firefox and reopen to clear the memory.

If losing tabs often you might save them all at once as bookmarks: right-click on any tab and choose Select All Tabs, right-click again on one and choose Bookmark Tabs. (I think that's the recipe) I do this periodically since I often keep too many tabs open and don't want to take the chance of losing them and have to hunt them down again.

I assume you've updated Firefox, checked for viruses, etc.

EDIT: My memory usage on this computer before and after restarting Firefox:

memory_before_restarting_Firefox.jpg memory_after_restarting_Firefox.jpg

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 06-20-2022 at 3:06 PM. Reason: added memory usage info

Blog Entries
    I'm running Firefox 101.0.1 on windows 11 with no issues.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Memory leak, likely recently introduced. Give the FF people a week or so and they'll likely have a fix. In the mean time you might need to close Firefox when it starts acting wonky and reopen it again.

crashed a number of times last few weeks approx didnt pay attention to the time, even some stuff it would not play as it kept crashing. Been fine last few days.

also using 101.0.1-
    ffox2.jpg

Example- I just now checked the office computer, been on all night as usual, hit firefox-- The webpage that was there was still there- the page 'worked', sorta, I could scroll up or down, but couldn't open a new tab. I clicked on an ad within the page, which killed the page. It's still there but all content went white, and everything is dead as to mouse clicking, even X-ing the page doesn't work
    looks like this-
    firefox.jpg

only way to turn it off now is by task manager, which shows Firefox as 'running' even tho it's not-
    taskman.jpg

This time task manager killed it, and it started up fine when I reloaded Firefox, which happens sometimes, other times the screen lightens up, the wheel spins and then task manager will report it's 'not responding', then upon reload I'll get the 'crash reporter' message.

Does the same thing on My office win7 pro-32, my garage win7 pro-32, my T5400 win7 ultimate-64, my Dell 790 win7 ultimate-64, and my win8 pro-64, all 5 computers (I said 4 above, forgot one! ) ...
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I clicked on an ad within the page, which killed the page.
    That might be the main culprit right there. If the browser was running all night and there was an ad on the page, there's a pretty good chance that ad (or any ad on any tab) was consuming resources the entire time. They are probably reaching out to the Internet on a regular basis (the Developer Tools can tell you that; hit F12). There might be a memory leak in the underlying browser logic that gets exposed when something is running all night like that. Your best bet is to install an ad blocker extension to simply get rid of ads entirely; I use AdblockPlus on both Firefox and Chrome.

You might also consider quitting Firefox when you are done for the night. You can use the Restore Previous Session option in the History menu to get back to where you were when you quit. If Firefox isn't running it certainly isn't going to consume any resources.

Separately, you can also have fun with the "about:memory" page in Firefox if you really want details on its memory usage. Good luck with that one though!
    And there was trouble, taking place...

I hibernate most of my computers at night, but usually not the office computer. I DO have my router block the internet from these 5 computers after midnight, but that doesn't help with the resources..

Anyway, the rest of today all the browsers on all computers have been working 'normally'... hope it stays that way
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

It might be the web site(s) that you are leaving the browsers open on. Are they all pointing to the same web page? Try leaving them pointed to some innocuous page that is not constantly updating or refreshing like https://www.google.com and see if they are behaving. If you are leaving them open on some news site, or other site that has lots of advertisements, like Steve W said, it may be the ads that are causing problems.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    It might be the web site(s) that you are leaving the browsers open on. Are they all pointing to the same web page? Try leaving them pointed to some innocuous page that is not constantly updating or refreshing like https://www.google.com and see if they are behaving. If you are leaving them open on some news site, or other site that has lots of advertisements, like Steve W said, it may be the ads that are causing problems.
    Ads causing problems? Say it ain't so!! . For me, noscript and uBlock origin in Firefox are not options, they're required. Ads and the Web are kind of like the opposite sex; difficult to live with 'em, difficult to live (keep many sites financed) without 'em.

FWIW I don't think it has anything to do with ads per se, just 'the next link' I click, regardless of whether it's an ad or just some other web page it's done the same thing-- it just acts like the current page is dead..

I don't do a ton of browsing, my most common web usage is the Creek, the bank, a few news websites, a boat forum, Amazon, eBay, various random 'window shopping', etc.. Doesn't/didn't matter what's on the browser on any computer...

I've been trying to just keep the browsers off when I'm not actually using them, guess I'm doing okay since I just checked, THIS is the only browser that's open at the moment (so I'm not sure if the problem still exists)
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter