Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

20 Jun 2022

Greetings,
    I got the queen bed finished and it's now sitting in my house to allow the finish to cure before delivery. I'll post a pic of it once we get it installed and setup. I'm not liking the heat and humidity in my shop but it is summer time and that mean precious little time in the shop until near the end of September.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

'Glad the bed came together, Dennis! (literally I suspect )

This past week I finished up the laundry room project with a nice surface that can be handy for sorting or keeping the basket off the floor, etc. It's not terribly exciting being white melamine edges with walnut, but it was appropriate and matches the existing white cabinets and drawer unit. The track saw came into play for cutting down the material in the driveway on a sunny day. The leftover material also came into play this weekend as my younger daughter mentioned, while we were at her and her SO's apartment for pre-Father's Day dinner (delicious)!, that she needed a desk/work surface to use her computer at since the only one they have is what Dan, her SO, uses for work. So I fabricated a compact yet reasonable size worksurface edged with cherry and it will get mid-century style hairpin legs per her request to match the other desk.

This week, I'll finish up that desk and start on a "coffee table" for their apartment, too. They only have 500 sq feet (and two round walls because it's in a "turret" style house) so they are gradually coming to terms with where needs and wants come together. I'll likely do one more project for them, but it will require permission from their landlord...a breakfast bar. The kitchen is really narrow and there's an on-wall heating unit that totally interferes with using any kind of normal narrow table that you also want to sit at. The solution is a surface that physically attaches to the wall and matches the kitchen. More on that in the future...

I'm sure I'll find other things to get into trouble with this week, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I puttered around on the lathe some.
    09D8D784-14C4-4762-A352-0723C7247A84.jpgC233B2D9-4954-4030-9748-E2D77EFF1C85.jpg
    There’s another waiting on the lathe for me to get back to it, having (hopefully) repaired the damage from a catch.
    Chuck Taylor

Got my hallway painted; flooring and trim are next. Ripped out a built-in from our family room. It was sort of a corner bar with a sink and upper and lower cabinets that matched the old kitchen cabinets. We've never liked it much so it was past time for it to go. Had to open up a wall and the subfloor to cap off the plumbing that went to the sink. There was a row of tile behind the formica countertop and removing that damaged the sheetrock behind it, so quite a bit of sheetrock repairs to do. And I'll need to install a couple of new receptacles to bring the electrical up to code. We did a little shopping for new carpeting; the prices for good carpeting were a little shocking, even though I had prepared myself. I'm trying to get this home remodeling stuff done (at least this phase) so I can get back in the shop as I have several projects lined up.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Well this was a crazy week. My wife wanted to rip out all the flooring on the first floor of the house (except 2 rooms) and install large format (8x48) wood look tile. It won't get all scratched up like the hardwood and she was tired of the 20 yr old tile in the other rooms.

This time, I decided NOT to break my back and hired a tile guy who did an amazing job, however he finished grout on Tuesday. My daughter's graduation party was on Saturday.

- Make enough molding and paint it (yes, making my own profile) for at least the laundry room and bathroom
    - Paint the laundry room and powder room
    - re-install the laundry room base cabinets and sink
    - install some of the baseboard molding, enough to get the washer and dryer in without having to pull them out again
    - trim out the bathroom with base and casement molding, touch up paint.
    - install plumbing and lighting fixtures in the bathroom
    - reinstall the appliances, the island, cabinets and panels around the fridge in the kitchen.
    - Put back all the furniture, pictures, and all the 'stuff'
    - clean up any areas still not cleaned up
    - setup the house for a party of about 40ish and host some family that was staying the weekend, not to mention all the shopping and 'graduation' decoration stuff.
    - etc etc etc

Lucky I had help with a lot of the work, and of course a fair amount of the party planning and all the shopping was taken care of by my wife. Who also helped with a lot of the items mentioned above.

Now we slow down a bit and breath, but still have a pile of work to get the house 100% back, including trimming out the rest of the rooms and also painting them all.
    Distraction could lead to dismemberment!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Got my hallway painted; flooring and trim are next. Ripped out a built-in from our family room. It was sort of a corner bar with a sink and upper and lower cabinets that matched the old kitchen cabinets. We've never liked it much so it was past time for it to go. Had to open up a wall and the subfloor to cap off the plumbing that went to the sink. There was a row of tile behind the formica countertop and removing that damaged the sheetrock behind it, so quite a bit of sheetrock repairs to do. And I'll need to install a couple of new receptacles to bring the electrical up to code. We did a little shopping for new carpeting; the prices for good carpeting were a little shocking, even though I had prepared myself. I'm trying to get this home remodeling stuff done (at least this phase) so I can get back in the shop as I have several projects lined up.
    Prices for EVERYTHING are through the roof, not just carpeting. I was floored when I found out how expensive good tile is. We were trying to budget for $4 to $5 per sq foot (or less) and was really shocked that quality is a fair amount higher, and when you need to buy 1150 sq feet, every buck or two more blows up the budget. It is the cost of shipping. Our tile came from Italy and I hear container shipping costs are up 300% from 2 years ago. It also took the tile 3 months to get here.

Our tile came from Italy and I hear container shipping costs are up 300% from 2 years ago. It also took the tile 3 months to get here

Grizzly sent out an email today:
    Before the pandemic we paid around $3500 per shipping container to bring our machines across the ocean. With all the “craziness” that took place last year, the shortage of shipping containers, and ships waiting for weeks outside of the LA port to be offloaded, the price per container rose to over $20,000! This increased the cost of all the items inside each container and we all saw prices in general rise.

As I write this today, the cost per shipping container has decreased to around $10,000 per container and while we have this reprieve,

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    Our tile came from Italy and I hear container shipping costs are up 300% from 2 years ago. It also took the tile 3 months to get here

Grizzly sent out an email today:
    Before the pandemic we paid around $3500 per shipping container to bring our machines across the ocean. With all the “craziness” that took place last year, the shortage of shipping containers, and ships waiting for weeks outside of the LA port to be offloaded, the price per container rose to over $20,000! This increased the cost of all the items inside each container and we all saw prices in general rise.

As I write this today, the cost per shipping container has decreased to around $10,000 per container and while we have this reprieve,
    Well - 10k from 3500 is about the 300% I heard from the tile place. 20k seems absolutely crazy but makes sense if ships are stuck for weeks to offload. The ship is essentially sitting idle, while burning fuel for generators, cost for the crew and lost revenue moving the next load of containers. All those costs are passed on to the consumer AND of course continue to back-log the supply chain.

I picked up a building permit application and a deck packet from the local building department. My wife wants a deck. So, I get to draw the plans, site plan and elevations for the city.

On the plus side, I was told today that lumber prices have bottomed out (relative) and are not likely to go any lower this year, so now is a good time to buy material.

Derek

Took me through Sunday to get all the new pieces assembled, but the DC system is up and running thanks to the new motor starter. And, much thanks to the BlastGate folks for their help with the duct.

Next, I figure out how to add a DC port to the Grizzly slider cabinet.