Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bench seat

Not that I recall. You can use cauls to keep them from shifting.

Jack, the convex sole plane from Philly planes is very useful for planing hollows. Mine has a 9" radius.

convex sole plane.jpgConvex sole plane 2.jpg

The dished-out section keeps one's hindquarters firmly placed in the bench seat. Another way of accomplishing this is to drop the rear portion of the seat slightly, about 1/2" or about 5 degrees. That was the traditional way of handling this issue for some dining room or living room chairs.
    Regards,

Tom

Jack, Thanks for the follow up. I think I will do a test on a short piece of red oak to get an idea of what I am facing.

Tom,
    Thank you for the tip. I just took a look at the Philly Plane web site. That may be a consideration for a future use. I imagine it would be a while to purchase one with everything going on in the world at this time.
    Regards,
    Jack

Be sure to start by making a template to measure with. If you can post a pic of it here we can compare it to our experience. Give us the deepest depth you plan. I'll suggest 1/2" as a minimum.

One or more saw cuts will help you get it right. If you want the experience you can certainly do this with a hand saw.

My scrub plane might be up to the task of hollowing.

template, umm the goblins have turned it upside down

Chair Template.jpg